Staff Senate Minutes
University of Nebraska at Kearney
October 21, 2008, 10:30 a.m.
Sandhills Room, Nebraska Student Union
Present: Administrative: Ballenger
Service: Geiger, Lester, Heinowski
Office: Williams, Wardyn, Meier
Absent: Kauders, McQueen, Benitz, Petersen
Recognition of Employee of the Month
Wilma Heinowski, Department of Public Safety
Parking Services Coordinator
Recognition of Department of the Month
Construction Management Program
Lucas Dart, Executive Director of Alumni Association
Lucas came today to speak as the new Executive Director of the Alumni Association. He has recently replaced Emeriti Director, Jim Rundstrom. Lucas has been with UNK since 1997. Lucas told the Staff Senate that the Alumni Association is all about good-will to the Alumni and the UNK Campus. He reports directly to the Chancellor. There is small staff in the office, Lucas, Michelle Widger, the Assistant Director and Jean Starman, Office Associate. The Alumni Association helps with Admissions and fund-raising. The alumni of UNK are the best recruiters and the staff keeps up with information regarding alumni with e-mails and addresses as to where they are and what they are doing. The UNK-Today is the alumni magazine with the Class Notes section being the most popular. The association keeps alumni engaged by e-communication such as Facebook and Linked-In. Also, Lucas mentioned that there is higher percentage of staff than faculty as alumni. Another part of the Alumni Association is the Gold Torch Society, which is a mentoring and networking organization for alumni and undergraduate women the UNK.
- Call to Order-
- Adoption of Agenda-
- Approval of Minutes – from the September 16th minutes.
- Open Floor –
- Financial Report – Laura reported the Professional Development Committee made $143.19 from the sales of the Bosses Day sacks. The candy left from the Homecoming Parade went to DOM candy box.
- Correspondence – None
- Unfinished Business -
A. Staff Senate Goals for 2008
- Update & Utilize Blackboard/Staff Senate Website.
- Enhance Staff Senate Exposure & Awareness – Williams will print new brochures to show Ex-Officio as Bressington.
- Mentors for new Senators/Officers – Will address in April.
- Develop campus awareness of University online calendar - Ongoing
B. Staff Senate Survey – Opinio, moved up to February as goal.
- Committee Reports
A. Election Committee – No Report
B. Employee Recognition Committee – Williams and Meier asked about part time employees being eligible for Employee of the Month. Bressington said the part time employee must benefit eligible. The ERC Committee will meet again November 6th at 10:00AM in the MSAB Conference room.
C. Performance Management Committee – No Report.
D. Procedures Committee – No Report.
E. Professional Development Committee – No Report.
F. Mentoring Committee – No Report.
G. Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – No Report.
H. Information Technology Advisory Committee – No Report.
I. Strategic Planning Committee – No Report.
IX. New Business
A. Newsletter - Recognizing new employees with a picture.
B. Mentoring Committee – needs more mentors for new UNK employees. There was discussion regarding the shortage of mentors and how to get more people engaged. It seems the same people are involved and squeezing in too much to their schedules.
C. Revaluating Staff Senate Mission/Goals – Would like to close the gap between Staff Senate and its committees. Start inviting committee chairs to the meetings.
X. Staff Senate Roundtable – Staff members update the Senate on events happening in their offices/departments.
1. Geiger- CTW is getting a new roof and CTE will follow.
2. Lester – Heartland Tech Project is in the Union today. Travis Checkettes is the new scheduler for NSU and Marcia is part-time w/Travis.
3. Schaffnitt – Homecoming wrapped up well, starting on next year.
4. KrisAnn – Handed out “Saturdays at the Frank House” October through December.
5. Meier – Thanks for helping to bring the International students to the U.S.
6. Heinowski – State Cross Country is this Friday.
7. Wardyn – Reported that she has new position in the Finance Office, student accounts technician.
8. Williams – Admissions is doing a search for a Kearney Bound Coordinator. A new position to work with select students (freshman through senior years) from North Platte & Lexington who plan to attend UNK upon graduation from high school.
A. Staff Senate is always seeking nominations for Employee and Department of the Month! All nomination forms are available on-line on the Staff Senate webpage
B. Anyone in the UNK community is encouraged to attend Staff Senate meetings
C. Next Meeting – November 18th @ 10:30 a.m. in the Sandhills Room in the Nebraskan Student Union, Guest speaker – Chancellor, Douglas Kristensen.