Staff Senate Minutes
University of Nebraska at Kearney
August 19th, 2008 10:30 a.m.
Sandhills Room, Nebraska Student Union
Present: Administrative: Kauders, McQueen, Ballenger
Managerial/Professional: Schaffnitt, Petersen
Service: Geiger, Lester, Heinowski
Office: Williams, Wardyn, Meier
Recognition of Employee of the Month
Office Associate in the Health Care Clinic
Recognition of Department of the Month
UNK Writing Center
Renee Ballenger w/Linda Schroeder
Renee spoke to Staff Senate about ushering in the new UNK icon and how University Relations will bolster awareness of UNK through research. Renee presented a slide show of commercial spots. Staff Senate was given a packet of questions to which we were to respond how we felt about academic quality, UNK’s greatest competitive strengths and challenges and our feelings about the slide show. This information will be used as part the research into the new icon.
- Call to Order
- Adoption of Agenda
- Approval of Minutes – from the July 15th minutes.
- Open Floor –
- Financial Report –
- Correspondence –
- Unfinished Business -
Staff Senate Goals for 2008
1. Update & Utilize Blackboard/Staff Senate Website
2. Enhance Staff Senate Exposure & Awareness – new Brochures were distributed by Williams.
3. Mentors for new Senators/Officers
4. Set 2008-2009 Budget – voted and approved in July
5. Develop campus awareness of University online calendar
B. Guest Speakers – Andrea Childress will speak at the September meeting. Suggestions are for Lucas Dart and Geraldine Stirtz…
- Committee Reports
A. Election Committee – No Report
B. Employee Recognition Committee – No Report
C. Performance Management Committee – No Report
D. Procedures Committee – No Report
E. Professional Development Committee – No Report
F. Mentoring Committee – No Report
G. Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – No Report
H. Information Technology Advisory Committee – No Report
I. Strategic Planning Committee – No Report
- New Business
A. Approve funds to order envelopes – Approved
B. Faculty/Staff Convocation – August 22, 9:00AM
C. Staff Senate Survey – questions to be determined for an opinion survey.
D. Blackboard/Facebook Demonstration – to be a fan of UNK.
- Staff Senate Roundtable – Staff members update the Senate on events happening in their offices/departments.
1. Wardyn- new cashiering system is up and running in Finance.
2. Lakey- there is a reorganizing in the Finance office. Lakey will be the new Assistant Vice Chancellor for Business & Finance. Cheryll Bressington to be the Director of Human Resources. Will need to determine Lakey’s status on Staff Senate through the By-Laws and will the By-Laws need to be changed.
3. Kauders- There will be a new artist on display at MONA-Native American Collection/Plains People.
4. Geiger- New furniture has been installed in towers; the blinds to be done today and the roof repair will be ongoing.
5. Lester – the Union is back to regular hours as of August 22nd.
6. Schaffnitt- Blue & Gold day has 202 tables and this is all a challenge with the construction is going on.
7. McQueen – Campus construction is going well. The Nestor Hall reception will be September 8th. University Drive to open in early August. The storm repair is still ongoing expects to be completed by start of classes. The foundation work has begun at Bruner Hall and the above ground work should begin in Oct.
8. Petersen – IT is very busy, crazy. MAC’s have installed in labs.
9. Heinowski – The new parking software is up and running. Parking tickets will be issued starting Monday 2th.
A. Staff Senate is always seeking nominations for Employee and Department of the Month! All nomination forms are available on-line on the Staff Senate webpage
B. Anyone in the UNK community is encouraged to attend Staff Senate meetings
C. Next Meeting – September 16th@ 10:30 a.m. in the Sandhills Room in the Nebraskan Student Union.
D. Guest speaker – Andrea Childress from IT.