Staff Senate Minutes
University of Nebraska at Kearney
July 15th, 2008
10:30 a.m. at M.O.N.A.
Present: Administrative: Kauders, McQueen
Managerial/Professional: Schaffnitt, Petersen
Service: Geiger, Lester
Office: Williams, Wardyn
Absent: Heinowski, Meier, Benitz
Recognition of Employee of the Month
Supply Control Supervisor for
Facilities Mgt & Planning
Recognition of Department of the Month
Center for Rural Research & Development
Lead Web/Multimedia Developer
Nathan spoke to Staff Senate about addressbook functionality. The ability to import and export csv files which allows address to be shared between programs and also allows people to export the csv to allow for a mailmerge in Microsoft Word (label printing done automatically). This functionality will email directly from this addressbook and share entries upon request, or automatically if each member of the addressbook has the same contact (this means that when one person updates the contact information, it changes in everyone’s address book). If someone were to change information about a contact, it shoes in the track changes section and allows you to see who did what. Finally, it is scalable to our needs since it was custom built on our own campus.
I. Call to Order
II. Introduction of All Members
A. Welcome to New Members
III. Open Floor – Staff members are welcome to have open discussion with Senate
IV. Adoption of Agenda
V. Approval of Minutes – from June 17th meeting.
VI. Financial Report – Laura Wardyn
VII. Correspondence – Thank You from Amy Jacobsen for the Office/Service Dependant Scholarship.
A. Staff Senate Goals for 2008
1. Update & Utilize Blackboard/Staff Senate Website
2. Enhance Staff Senate Exposure & Awareness
3. Mentors for new Senators/Officers
4. Set 2008-2009 Budget
5. Develop campus awareness of University online calendar
B. 2008-2009 Leadership UNK Class being finalized.
C. UNK Day Evaluations – some were good, some were not.
VIII. Committee Reports
A. Election Committee – No Report
B. Employee Recognition Committee – No Report
C. Performance Management Committee – No Report
D. Procedures Committee – No Report
E. Professional Development Committee – No Report
F. Mentoring Committee – No Report
G. Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – No Report
H. Information Technology Advisory Committee – No Report
I. Strategic Planning Committee – No Report
IX. New Business
A. SAFE Award Nominations have been received, 5 for Office/Service and 3 for Managerial/Professional, to selected.
B. Guest Speaker Suggestions – Lucas Dart; Geraldine Stirtz…..
X. Staff Senate Roundtable – Staff members update the Senate on events happening in their offices/departments
1. Wardyn- Finance is busy. Jeanne Koll is the cashier in the Finance Office.
2. Lakey- Chelsea Swarm is the new Payroll Tech who replaced Verna Cope.
3. Kauders-The UNK Poker Walk will be August 7th on Thursday and volunteers are still needed. The current exhibitor at MONA is Lisa Hoffman, a new painter will on display next week. The skylight at MONA damaged in the storm has been repaired.
4. Geiger- The resident halls are still getting ready and camp season is still going on.
5. Lester - The floors are being waxed in the Union, new tiles are being installed on the third floor and set up will begin for the August 1, graduation ceremony.
6. Williams- The new counselors are in place, Jodi Phillips and Josh Pierce. Dr Gary Davis is still recovering from his accident and planning to return in August.
7. Schaffnitt- Blue & Gold will be set-up around the fountain and Antelope Hall this year due to all the construction. Shelly Yentes is leaving her position in the Union for a new position in Academic Success.
8. McQueen – Campus construction is going well. The Nestor Hall is on time and on budget. University Drive to open in early August. The storm repair is still ongoing expects to be completed by start of classes. The foundation work has begun at Bruner Hall and the above ground work should begin in Oct. or Nov.
9. Petersen – IT reported a security incident in June and letters were mailed to those who may have had their identity compromised. She also invited those who are interested, to make an appointment and someone from IT will come their department to discuss standardizing “clickers” for all campus students.
A. Staff Senate is always seeking nominations for Employee and Department of the Month! All nomination forms are available on-line on the Staff Senate webpage
B. Anyone in the UNK community is encouraged to attend Staff Senate meetings
C. Next Meeting – August 19th@ 10:30 a.m. in the Sandhills Room in the Nebraskan Student Union.
D. Guest speaker – tbd