Staff Senate Minutes - December 21, 2004
10:30 a.m., Nebraskan Student Union - Room 310
Employee of the Month: Regina Judd, Custodian II, Facilities Management and Planning
Department of the Month: Art and Art History Department - Mark Hartman, Chair
Directors -- Kathy Livingston, Debbie Schroeder
Managerial/Professional -- Brandon Benitz, Cheryl Bressington
Office -- Linda Clark, Dixie Larson, Joni Weed
Service -- Aaron Asay, Bruce Uden Ex Officio: John Lakey
Administrative -- Audrey Kauders
Managerial/Professional -- Dusty Newton
Service -- Susan Frerichs
- Call to order - President, Linda Clark
- Adoption of Agenda with changes: addition of requests for Staff Senate funds, no report from Benitz for Mentoring Committee, and announcement regarding installation activities for NU President Milliken. Benitz/Livingston
- Introductions - Clark introduced Aaron Asay from Information Technology Services who will be completing the term vacated by the death of Katherine Leibhart.
- Minutes of November 16, 2004 meeting - approved: Bressington/Livingston
- Financial Report - In the absence of Kauders, Clark distributed printed Financial Reports showing a balance of $1189.74 in the two accounts. A Sales Summary Report was also included and approved as presented. Bressington/Livingston
- Correspondence - None
- Unfinished Business - None
- Committee Reports
- Election - No report
- Employee Recognition Committee - Weed distributed the DOM treat box sign up sheet. Weed also suggested that a statement reminding supervisors to keep a copy of their employee of the month nomination form should be included in the instructions for the EOM nomination. Weed was authorized to make this addition.
- Performance Management Committee - No Report
- Procedures Committee - No Report
- Professional Development Committee - Bressington reported that the Loper Office Makeover will be rescheduled after the first of the year. An anniversary celebration for Staff Senate's 10 year anniversary is scheduled for January 6 in the Cedar Room of the Nebraskan.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee - Lakey stated he had requested information regarding the proceeds from the recent Foundation Drive, but had no response to date.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - Bressington reported that the Making a Difference Committee is now waiting on the Public Sector group to conduct a survey of staff employees and supervisors to determine what type of format and program would be best. Plans are to conduct the survey in February.
- Mentoring Subcommittee - No Report
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - Schroeder announced that Kauders and Livingston had assisted with development of a staff technology survey, similar to one forwarded to faculty and students. The committee hopes to have the survey ready for distribution in January.
- Strategic Planning - This committee has already met several times. Schroeder reported that the Chancellor, who leads the committee, has challenged members to come up with a list of desirable characteristics for the UNK campus.
- Centennial Committee - Livingston announced that the proposal to combine the July 1 celebration with the June opening of the time capsule has been approved. The event will be held on June 21, 2005 and lunch will be provided for UNK employees.
- Search Committees - Clark reported that Stacy Darveau had forwarded a report saying that the College of Business and Technology Dean search committee has met and is in the process of developing criteria and questions. Review of applications begins in January, 2005.
- New Business
- Election of Vice President - Brandon Benitz was elected by unanimous vote as Vice President of Staff Senate. Benitz will serve as Vice President until election of officers at the April meeting.
- Program for Employees to purchase computers - Lakey and Schroeder had met with Director of Finance Larry Riessland regarding setting up a program that would assist employees who are interested in purchasing a home computer. The conclusion was that this would not be possible as it would entail use of state money as loan funds.
Follow-up proposal was working with Kearney Federal Credit Union to set up accounts for those interested in computer purchase -like a Christmas Club account. Another proposal was establishing a reimbursement account for computer purchase. Lakey will check into both ideas and report back.
- Staff Senate Auxiliary Account Spending Policy - Kauders had proposed the idea of setting priorities for expenditure of staff senate funds. The proposed policy would fund Staff Senate Events and programs first, then Staff Senate committees' events and programs and finally UNK events and programs that include staff - where possible Staff Senate will be listed as a sponsor. Expenditures should be approved by Staff Senate , but in case of a time constraint, the Executive Committee would be allowed to the approve the expenditure and then report at the next meeting. Livingston/Weed
Discussion followed on the use of Staff Senate funds to honor past staff senate members at the Staff Senate 10th Anniversary Celebration scheduled for January 6 from 9:00 to 10:30. The group decided that all past Office/Service Advisory Committee members should also be recognized at the event. Clark showed an example of a possible award idea, but it was agreed that the item should be something that could be used in the recipients' offices. Executive Committee was given approval to find an appropriate memento due to time constraints. Livingston/Bressington
- Faculty/Staff Social - Alumni House, January 14, 2005 - Weed circulated a sign-up sheet for the faculty/staff social that Staff Senate will be hosting.
- Centennial Committee - Arbor Day Celebration - Livingston asked the Senate to support the tree planting/scholarship project. Money will be used to plant trees/shrubs in a centennial plaza area and for a Centennial scholarship. It was decided to donate $100 to the project. Livingston/ Bressington
- Open Floor -
- Livingston announced that the Kearney campus will have a part in the installation activities of President Milliken. The event will be held at MONA on January 26, 2005 from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Next meeting - January 18, 2005, 10:30 a.m. Nebraskan Student Union Room 310
- Adjourn 11:45 a.m. Benitz/Weed