Staff Senate Minutes - October 12, 2004
10:30 a.m., Nebraskan Student Union - Room 142
Employee of the Month: Louise Erpelding, Custodian II, Residential and Greek Life
Department of the Month: Department of Physics and Physical Science - Presented 10/1/2004 in the Physics Department Offices
Directors -- Audrey Kauders, Debbie Schroeder
Managerial/Professional -- Brandon Benitz, Cheryl Bressington, Dusty Newton
Office -- Linda Clark, Dixie Larson, Joni Weed
Service -- Bruce Uden, Clayton Willis
Ex Officio: John Lakey
Administrative: Kathy Livingston
Service: Katherine Liebhart
Guest Speakers: University of Nebraska Foundation - Kearney Office personnel Roger Jones, Jon Abegglen and Lucas Dart. Their presentations included the history of the Foundation from its origin in 1959 as a source for emergency loan funds for Kearney State College students through the 1992 merger with the University of Nebraska Foundation following two years of negotiation. The group listed some of the benefits of becoming part of the University of Nebraska Foundation including gift processing, pledge billing, legal services, scholarship/equipment/research support, and also the fact that it gives us as part of a University system a "national presence". Following the presentation the group also answered questions from Staff Senate members.
- Call to order - President, Linda Clark
- Adoption of Agenda with changes of adding New Business: Staff Senate Brochures and Department of the Month proposals. Kauders/Weed
- Minutes of September 21, 2004 meeting - approved: Bressington/Newton
- Financial Report - Kauders distributed printed Financial Reports showing a balance of $2115.76 in the two accounts. Kauders also proposed that Staff Senate adopt a Policy Proposal for Expenditure of Staff Senate funds. The proposal gives first priority to expenditures for Staff Senate events and programs, second to Staff Senate Committees' events and programs, and finally to UNK events and programs. All expenditures will be approved by Staff Senate unless there is a time constraint in which case the Executive Committee will make a decision and Staff Senate would be informed at the next meeting. The proposal will be placed on the agenda at the November meeting.
- Correspondence - None
- Unfinished Business
- Banner for Staff Senate - Clark announced that the banner had been purchased and was used for the Homecoming Parade earlier in the month. Willis and Uden were thanked for securing and preparing a copper tubing carrier for the banner.
- Committee Reports
- Election - No report
- Employee Recognition Committee - No Report
- Performance Management Committee - No Report
- Procedures Committee - No Report
- Professional Development Committee - Bressington reported that seven entries were received for the Loper Office Makeover competition. The Committee announced that Brandon Benitz was the winning entry. An Interior Design class will prepare several proposals for Benitz to review. Following his decision, the work will begin and a date will be set and announced for the open house to show off the results of the first Loper Office Makeover.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee - No Report
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - Bressington reported that the event is scheduled for October 19 in the Nebraskan and circulated a sign up sheet for volunteers to assist during the event. Bressington again asked Senators to encourage colleagues and employees to attend.
- Mentoring Subcommittee - Benitz reported that cups filled with candy and popcorn will be delivered by Mentoring committee members to 31 bosses across campus as a result of their latest promotion.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - No report
- Strategic Planning Committee - No Report
- Centennial Committee - No Report
- New Business
- Polo Shirts and Sweatshirts - Bressington reported that the first orders for embroidered UNK Staff polo shirts and sweatshirts will be submitted October 12.
- Proposal - Clark distributed a proposal regarding Advanced Connections training and asked members to review it for review/discussion/adoption at the November meeting.
- Staff Senate will host a question and answer session with Residential and Greek Life employees tentatively scheduled for October 20 at 3:00 p.m. The event will be held in the Centennial Towers East Basement.
- Christmas Coffee - Clark asked Staff Senate members if they would be interested in hosting a Christmas Coffee prior to the December Staff Senate meeting. The event would be scheduled from 9:00 until the normal 10:30 meeting time and all UNK personnel would be welcome to attend. Staff Senate members could provide cookies and coffee and drinks could be catered by Chartwells. Senate members approved this proposal.
- Proposal for Presentation of Department of the Month - Larson proposed that in addition to Employee of the Month plaque presentations, Department of the Month plaques should also be awarded during the Staff Senate Meeting. This would allow all Staff Senators an opportunity to congratulate the department. The proposal was approved and Department of the Month recipients will be invited to Staff Senate meetings to receive the recognition plaques with the Employee of the Month recipients. Staff Senators will continue to be invited to attend the presentation of the traveling treat box in the recipients' office at the beginning of the month.
- Staff Senate Brochures - Clark distributed copies of previous Staff Senate brochures and asked members to review them prior to the November meeting for discussion of developing an updated brochure.
- Open Floor - Clayton Willis announced his resignation from Staff Senate due to time and space constraints. Staff Senate members reluctantly accepted his resignation and proposed that a formal resolution be drafted recognizing Clayton's contributions to UNK Staff Senate. Kauders/Weed
- Next meeting - November 16, 2004 - 10:30 a.m. - Nebraskan Student Union Room 142 (note different room again)
- Adjourn 12:07 p.m. Bressington/Benitz