Staff Senate Minutes - July 20, 2004
10:30 a.m., Nebraskan Student Union Room 310
Employee of the Month: Richard "Dick" Hunt, University Heights manager for the Office of Residential & Greek Life
Department of the Month: Chartwells (delivered Friday July 2)
Directors -- Audrey Kauders, Kathy Livingston, Deborah Schroeder
Managerial/Professional -- Brandon Benitz, Cheryl Bressington, Dusty Newton
Office -- Linda Clark, Dixie Larson, Joni Weed
Service -- Kathy Leibhart, Bruce Uden, Clayton Willis
Ex Officio: Lakey
- Call to order - President, Linda Clark
- Adoption of Agenda with addition of reports from Mentoring Subcommittee and Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee representatives - approved: Kauders/Bressington
- Minutes of June 15, 2004 meeting - approved: Kauders/Bressington
- Financial Report - Kauders reported a total balance of $1199.09 in the two Staff Senate accounts.
- Correspondence - Thank-yous from Dee Ellingson and Ashley Frerichs
- Unfinished Business
- Staff Award for Excellence (SAFE) Award - Clark reported there are 8 nominations for the SAFE award.
- Pepsi Fund - Weed reported that since the water giveaway scheduled for Blue and Gold does not meet the Pepsi funding criteria (only for students), Pepsi cannot supply the water. Weed will check with area stores regarding prices, etc. for water. Larson added that it was proposed that tags on an elastic band with "compliments of UNK Staff Senate" be attached to each bottle as they are distributed. Larson's daughter has volunteered to help with making the tags. Weed suggested clear labels as a possibility.
- Banner - Newton showed an example of a blue fitted tablecloth that had been purchased for Admissions. The cloth can be purchased through the Buckle for around $100.00 Senate members discussed and agreed that a fitted table cloth would limit the ways the cloth could be used. Newton will check on pricing of a banner that could be used during parades, placed on a table for Blue and Gold and other functions, etc. (Newton in a later e-mail to Senate members reported that the cost for a 5'x4' banner would be $425.00.)
- Committee Reports
- Election - No report
- Employee Recognition Committee - Weed suggested that Staff Senate resume delivering the department of the month award to the department instead of having the department come to the meeting.
- Performance Management Committee - Meeting July 21, 2004
- Procedures Committee - No Report
- Professional Development Committee - Willis reported that the Loper MakeOver event seemed to be a success. Notes for any future event will include introducing the participants at the beginning of the luncheon as many people had to leave before they were introduced. Willis also acknowledged Tim Danube's assistance by allowing Staff Senate the use of the sound system for the event. Discussion followed regarding some form of acknowledgement of employees who work to set up the event. Linda will check with Finance Office regarding policies and procedures for meal purchase, etc.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee - Lakey announced the two recipients of this year's Office/Service dependent scholarship are Ashley Frerichs and McKenzie Mitchell. He further reported that a Staff Senate representative will be invited to serve on the scholarship committee. Lakey will check with Mary Heater about doing another aluminum can drive and will also talk to Mark Morehouse about other recycling that is being/could be done.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - No report
- Mentoring Subcommittee - Benitz reported that the Mentoring subcommittee is waiting on final proofs for the stadium cups. Following the discussion from the last Staff Senate meeting, the Antelope Bookstore had been contacted and that bid was $60 less than other bids. The cups (that will be made available to UNK employees) should be available for "order-taking" at Blue and Gold. Benitz also announced that Chartwells is sponsoring 50 cent refills for all UNK employees that bring their cup to any Chartwells location on campus that serves fountain drinks.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - No report
- Strategic Planning Committee - No Report
- Centennial Committee - Livingston's report included announcement of three events being planned prior to the culmination of Centennial activities in 2005: campus tree planting on Arbor Day (campaign seeking monetary support to begin in Fall, 2004), opening of the time capsule, and a banquet.
- New Business
- Change Staff Senate dates for August and October meetings - Staff Senate executive committee has been invited to attend Administrative Retreat on August 17 (next regular Staff Senate meeting date), and the annual "Making a Difference" day is scheduled on the regular October meeting date. The meeting dates were changed to August 10 and October 12.
- Staff Senate Committees - Schroeder will serve on the Procedures committee; Willis will move from Employee Recognition Committee to Election Committee; Livingston, Newton and Leibhart will serve on the Office/Service Dependent Scholarship committee. A service representative is still needed for the Procedures committee.
- UNK Blue/Gold Day - Clark distributed a sign-up sheet for the Staff Senate table at Blue/Gold Day Showcase on Friday, August 20, beginning at 4:00 p.m.
- Goals for 2004/05 - Staff Senate Goals for 2004-05 in order of priority are as follows:
- Secure permanent SAFE award funding source
- Promote and support initiation of prorated tuition remission for part-time benefit-eligible employees
- Promote Staff Senate awareness:
- host Staff Senate information sessions
- host open forums with Chancellor
- each Senator will strive to represent their area of service and make decisions accordingly…i.e. awareness survey, etc.
- continue support of Centennial committee and other campus activities
- offer Staff Senate representation on University-wide and administrative search committees and other campus wide committees
- Actively support North Central recommendations for staff salary improvement
- Work with Faculty Senate to develop training sessions for new Department Chairs/Directors.
Staff Senate President or Executive committee meetings with Chancellor monthly/quarterly.
Support campus diversity and gender equity.
Next meeting - August 10, 2004 - 10:30 a.m.
Nebraskan Student Union Room 310
- Adjourn 12:05 p.m.