Staff Senate Minutes - May 18, 2004
Employee of the Month: David Webster, Painter II, Facilities
Department of the Month: Mail Room
Directors -- Audrey Kauders, Kathy Livingston, Deborah Schroeder
Managerial/Professional -- Brandon Benitz, Cheryl Bressington, Dusty Newton
Office -- Linda Clark, Dixie Larson, Joni Weed
Service -- Bruce Uden, Clayton Willis
Ex Officio: Lakey
Procedures Committee member: Rochelle Krueger
Absent: Katherine Liebhart
- Call to order - President, Linda Clark
- Adoption of Agenda - approved
- Minutes of April 20, 2004 meeting - approved: Livingston/Newton
- Financial Report - Kauders reported a total balance of $1380.03 in the two Staff Senate accounts. Discussion was held regarding purchase of SAFE Award plaques and a banner to be used in parades and other functions in which Staff Senate participates. Joni will check on SAFE award plaque inventory and Dusty will check on the banner purchase.
- Correspondence - no correspondence
- Unfinished Business
- Staff Senate Budget Request 04/05 - see above discussion
- Request for Pepsi funds - no report
- Staff Award for Excellence - Clark reported that there are only three nominations to date, but one is incomplete. Nominations are due in the Human Resources Office by June 30, 2004
- By-law changes - At the last meeting, due to the change in service area (from managerial/professional to administrative - 60/40) of Cheryl Bressington, the Procedures Committee had proposed three options to amend the by-laws to address the current situation and to be used in future similar situations. Since the last meeting Linda Clark has also accepted a position in another service area (from office to managerial/professional). The three options that were proposed were
- The senator would resign from Staff Senate on the effective date of position change;
- The senator would complete the Staff Senate year, which concludes in April;
- The senator would complete the elected term.
Following three rounds of lengthy discussions followed by secret ballot voting, a unanimous decision was reached that Staff Senators whose service area changes during their three year term, will complete the current year of service. The senator will then be replaced by the person in their former service area who receives the second highest number of votes in the election held at the end of that year. That Senator would then complete the remainder of the former senator's three-year term. As a result, both Clark and Bressington (since the decision was not made until after the beginning of the current Staff Senate year) will continue to serve on Staff Senate until April of 2005. Coincidentally, both of their three-year terms expire at that time.
- Committee Reports
- Election - Larson reported that Vicky Hasbrouck has resigned from her position at UNK and will be replaced by Katherine Leibhart on Staff Senate. Leibhart was contacted and agreed to serve out Hasbrouck's term which will expire in April of 2006. Leibhart was unable to attend the May meeting due to a previous commitment.
- Employee Recognition Committee - No report
- Performance Management Committee - Willis reported that the Committee is working on a "scaled down version" of the Makeover television show. The event will involve any benefit-eligible UNK employee who is agreeable, flexible and ready for a change. Hair cut, style, color/highlight, and skin care treatment will be included in the makeover package. Results will be "unveiled" during the July 1 celebration. More information will be coming.
Willis also announced that the committee is hosting a Facilities Appreciation Coffee at the Facilities building on May 26 from 9:00-9:30 a.m. It will be an opportunity to explain what Staff Senate does and answer questions that personnel might have about Staff Senate. Staff Senators are encouraged to attend.
- Procedures Committee - See above bylaw change under unfinished business.
- Professional Development Committee - No report
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee - No report
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - No report
- Mentoring Subcommittee - Benitz's report coincided with the financial/budget report in that the Mentoring subcommittee is proposing purchase of lanyards to hold UNK ID cards. The lanyards would be given to new employees and possibly could be offered for sale to all other UNK employees. Several examples were shown, and prices were discussed. Plans are being developed for all UNK personnel to wear a visible ID. Other options were discussed since some employees cannot wear a lanyard due to safety concerns. The subcommittee will pursue additional options and present at the June meeting.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - No report
- Strategic Planning Committee - No Report
- Centennial Committee - No report
- North Central Steering Committee - Livingston reported the North Central Association visit went well and that UNK is accredited for the next 10 years. There will be some follow-up required on assessment. Livingston further reported that the Committee was pleased with the participation during the visit and thanked Staff Senate for hosting a meeting for staff to meet with the accreditation team.
- Shirt Fundraiser - No report
- Flag Fundraiser - No report
- New Business
- July 1 Celebration - In the planning stages.
- Open Floor - No comments
- Goals for 2004/05 - Due to time tabled until June meeting. Clark asked senators to bring ideas and goals to that meeting.
- Announcements -
- UNK Blue and Gold - 4:00-8:00 on August 20, 2004. The suggestion was made that Staff Senate should give away bottled water. Weed will check to see if we can get the water through Pepsi.
- Next Meeting - June 15, 2004 - 10:30 a.m.
Nebraskan Student Union - Room 310
Clark will verify a room as Orientation has scheduled Room 310 at that time. Goals and committee assignments will be decided.