Staff Senate Minutes - April 20, 2004
Employee of the Month: Donna Day, Business Services and Budget Departments
Directors -- Kauders
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Kucera
Office -- Clark, Ellingson, Larson
Service -- Hasbrouck, Lange, Willis
Ex Officio: Lakey
Absent: Hamaker, Livingston, Newton
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda - approved
- Introductions - Staff Senate members introduced themselves to the new Staff Senate members. Elected to a new 3-year term were: Debbie Schroeder, Information Technology; Brandon Benitz, Student Support Services; Joni Weed, Career Services; and Bruce Uden, Facilties-Speciality Team. Vicki Hasbrouck announced that she will be resigning from Staff Senate.
- Minutes of March 16, 2004 - approved
- Financial Report - Audrey reported the Staff Senate account has a balance of $1,460.08, a current balance of $693 in the auxiliary account from flag sales. The sale of T-shirts netted a profit of $118. Two more plaques for Employee of the Month will be purchased to reduce the year-end budget. Committee wanting to purchase items should be submitted at the next meeting.
- Correspondence – none
- Unfinished Business
- Staff Senate Budget Request 04/05 – No Report
- Request for Pepsi Funds – No Report
- Staff Award for Excellence – No nominations have been received
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election – Dixie reported that there was a 54.2% increase in response to voting for Staff Senate elections on-line. Many concerns were raised regarding the numerous reminders to vote, hopefully the number of reminders can be cut down.
- Employee Recognition Committee - No report
- Performance Management Committee – No report
- Procedures Committee – The question was raised regarding the change of the position for Cheryl Bressington and how the change affected the representation for managerial/professional since her position has become 60% administrative as Affirmative Action Director and 40% Human Resource Assistant. The Procedures Committee offered 3 options for Staff Senate to vote which will result in a change to the bylaws. The 3 options were:
- Cheryl would remove herself from Staff Senate because of her administrative position;
- finish out her year on Staff Senate;
- finish out her term.
John Lakey clarified that Cheryl's position is 60% administrative therefore her position does not allow her to serve on Staff Senate. Anita Kucera made a motion to remove the member and that the position be represented by the appropriate person, seconded by Jim Lange. A vote was taken with six votes for the motion and one opposed. Audrey Kauders moved to table the discussion until the next meeting, seconded by Jim Lange. The meeting was recessed to allow staff members to visit with the North Central Accreditation team.
- Professional Development Committee – No report
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – No report
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - No report
- Mentoring Subcommittee – No report
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - No report
- Strategic Planning – No report
- Centennial Committee – No report
- North Central Steering Committee – No report
- Shirt Fundraiser - No report
- Flag Fundraiser – No report
- New Business –
- Election of Offices – The meeting resumed with John Lakey conducting the election. New officers are President, Linda Clark; Vice President, Clayton Willis; Secretary, Dixie Larson; and Treasurer, Audrey Kauders.
- Audrey Kauders and Anita Kucera will serve on the Professional Conduct Committee
- Open Floor – No comments
- Outgoing Staff Senate members Dee Ellingson, Jim Lange, Anita Kucera, and Michelle Hamaker were presented plaques for their service on Staff Senate.
- Next meeting – May 18, 2004 – 10:30 a.m., Nebraskan Student Union, Room 310
- The meeting adjourned at 12:15 p.m.