Staff Senate Minutes - February 17, 2004
Employee of the Month: Stacy Darveau, Management Department
Directors -- Hamaker, Kauders, Livingston
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Kucera, Newton
Office -- Clark, Larson, Ellingson
Service -- Lange, Willis Ex Officio: Lakey
Michelle McGeorge, Student Senate President, talked about student senate elections on Wednesday and Thursday of that week. Student Senate is currently working with the Chancellor on renovation projects, and student representation on Faculty Senate committees. Student Senate supports the UNK Ride program which provides transportation for students to the mall on Fridays and Saturdays. Public relations forums and seminars are provided for students, teaches students how to publish announcements, schedule rooms, and other forms of public relations. Student Senate has a list of attainable goals, one of which was the change in services from Chartwells.
Darren Addy, Information Technology Services, demonstrated the on-line survey called Opinio Survey. Following discussion and questions on how the survey can be adapted for Staff Senate elections, President Cheryl Bressington recommended the Election Committee work with Darren to put the Staff Senate election on-line.
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda – approved with 3 items added by the President.
- Minutes were approved.
- Financial Report – Financial report was approved.
- Correspondence – no report.
- Unfinished Business
- Cheryl met with the Chancellor and the final budget for Staff Senate is $1,067.00,
- Snow Removal Request – Policy removing snow on campus was published in the Staff Senate Newsletter. John Lakey acknowledged the Facilities Department for the quick response in removing snow after the last storm.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election – Darren Addy provided a demonstration on using the Opinio Survey for Staff Senate elections. Kathy Livingston made a motion that Staff Senate utilize the process for upcoming election, seconded by Dusty Newton. The Procedures Committee will recommend changes to the By-laws at the next meeting.
- Employee Recognition Committee – no report
- Performance Management Committee – no report
- Procedures Committee – no report
- Professional Development Committee – no report
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – Mary Heater will send out e-mails as a reminder to submit applications for scholarship funds. The scholarship fund is now an endowed fund with over $10,000.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee – no report
- Mentoring Subcommittee – no report
- Information Technology Advisory Committee – Kim will share information as it becomes available.
- Strategic Planning – no report
- Centennial Committee – no report
- North Central Steering Committee – no report
- Shirt Fundraiser – An e-mail will be sent regarding the sale of T-shirts.
- Flag Fundraiser – no report
- New Business –
- Information was distributed on the new UNK marketing plan.
- Cheryl Bressington discussed the visit from Deb Thomas, Central Administration regarding University Day at the Legislature on March 2. Staff employees planning to attend should submit a day of vacation leave. The day provides an opportunity for employees to make contacts with Senators and discuss issues.
- Cheryl gave an update on the search for the Dean of the Library. Executive committees of Faculty Senate, Staff Senate, and Student Senate will meet with the candidates.
- The Department of the Month Award will be presented to the pep band at half-time of the women’s basketball game on Thursday.
- Next meeting – March 16, 2004 – 10:30 a.m. – College of Education B154.
- The meeting adjourned at 12:00 p.m.