Staff Senate Minutes - January 20, 2004
Employee of the Month: Chris Struebing, Nebraskan Student Union
Directors -- Hamaker, Kauders, Livingston
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Kucera, Newton
Office -- Clark, Larson, Ellingson
Service -- Lange, Willis
Ex Officio: Lakey
Dr. Rick Miller, Faculty Senate President, discussed the Faculty Senate goals and Faculty Plan of Action. The Faculty Plan of Action is drafted in the spring and implemented in the fall. He mentioned the workload assignment needs to be resolved, a faculty mentoring program for new faculty, no mentoring for department chairs or training program. A proposal was submitted to the Board of Regents for three-fourths time faculty and staff to receive full-time benefits but was rejected by the Board of Regents. One of the goals is to promote academic quality based programs to prevent departments from being split up due to budget cuts.
Dr. Miller was asked about the creditability of Staff Senate on campus. Faculty Senate does acknowledge Staff Senate in campus activities and feels that both groups can partner on future activities. Faculty Senate is not represented at Board of Regents meetings but usually a representative attends the meetings. Students are encouraged to participate on Faculty Senate committees but have low participation to assigned committees. Staff Senate members agreed that Faculty Senate and Staff Senate Executive committees should meet in the future to work on professional development, wellness, diversity and discrimination workshops.
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda - approved
- Minutes were approved
- Financial Report – A deposit of $132.83 was made from sales of T-shirts and flags. Financial report was approved.
- Correspondence – A thank-you note was received from Paula Gassch.
- Unfinished Business
- Cheryl met with the Chancellor and Randy Haack to work on remaining budget funds for Staff Senate.
- UNO survey hasn’t been reviewed. Gender Equity survey will be drafted under direction of the Chancellor’s office. Fourteen entries for cookie contest. Professional Development Committee accepting suggestions to change the contest or do something different due to lack of participation.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee – The Committee received a report from Darren Addy indicating the survey software would be applicable for Staff Senate elections. Darren has been invited to demonstrate the software at the next meeting. If the software will be used the by-laws for election will need to be revised.
- Employee Recognition Committee – no report
- Performance Management Committee – no report
- Procedures Committee – no report
- Professional Development Committee – no report
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – John Lakey will meet with the Chair of the Committee to look at applications.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee – no report
- Mentoring Subcommittee – Letters and brochures were mailed out to campus employees.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee – Darren Addy, Kim Schipporeit, and Charles McGraw represent staff on committee.
- Strategic Planning – no report
- Centennial Committee – no report
- North Central Steering Committee – Work is in progress. Comments on report needed ASAP. Committee will meet on January 29 for final revision.
- Shirt Fundraiser – Cheryl will work on advertising to sell T-shirts.
- Flag Fundraiser – no report
- New Business –
- Electronic Voting – tabled until next month.
- Snow Removal Request – Discussion was held on why snow was not removed before staff reported to work. Concerns were expressed regarding safety, accessibility, and general morale because parking lots and sidewalks were not cleared of snow. Members agreed a letter should be drafted to Mike Miller, Director of Facilities with concerns and receive a response on snow removal.
- Replacement for Vicky Hasbrouck – tabled
- Request for Representation on Varner Hall Searches - Deb Thomas from Central Administration will be on campus February 2 to meet with Faculty Senate and Staff Senate Executive Committees. There will be an open session before the noon meeting to discuss grassroots efforts and learn more about the Unicameral.
- Summary of Meeting with Vice Chancellor Candidates – Faculty Senate and Staff Senate Executive Committees interviewed the candidates with a prepared set of questions.
- Request for Representation on Varner Hall Searches – Cheryl reported there is no staff representation on the President’s Search Committee. Chancellor encourages staff representation.
- Next meeting – February 17, 2004 – 10:30 a.m. – Nebraskan 310.
Michelle McGeorge, Student Senate President.
Darren Addy will present demonstration on-line voting.
- The meeting adjourned at 12:00 p.m.