Staff Senate Minutes
University of Nebraska at Kearney
July 17th, 2007 - 10:30 a.m. in the
Nebraskan Student Union – Sandhills Dining Room
Present: Administrative: Bressington, Kauder
Managerial/Professional: Schaffnitt, Benitz, Morehouse
Service: Geiger, Gilbertson, Heinowski
Office: Beerbohm, Meier, Wardyn
Guest: Dee Ellingson
Recognition of Employee of the Month
Brian Peterson-Department of Biology – Distance Education Coordinator
Recognition of Department of the Month
MONA (Museum of Nebraska Art)
Guest Speakers – Jami Schaffnitt and Brandon Benitz
Blue and Gold Welcome Week Activities
Jami Schaffnitt told Senate members that Blue and Gold Day will be on Friday, August 24, around the Bell Tower. She is anticipating nearly 200 vendors to participate in this event. There is no rain site for the vendors’ event but the picnic will be held inside the Union in case of rain. This year there will be a volleyball game going on in the Health and Sports Center. Mark Morehouse outlined the plans Facilities has made for the set up for Blue and Gold. Wilma Heinowski said that some parking lots will be closed for move-in day and to accommodate the Blue and Gold vendors. Jami said that they were encouraging vendors to use the “Lopers Around the World” theme in their booths. Vendors are also being encouraged to have give-a-ways at their booths at least for the students. If a vendor cannot do that, they are encouraged to do something unique and fun that students can interact with.
Brandon Benitz said that what is different with Blue and Gold Week this year is that we have the Blue and Gold Week flyers earlier than in the past. Last year the only advertising that was done for Blue and Gold Week was the flyers that were mailed to incoming freshmen. During orientation this summer, Blue and Gold Week activities have been discussed with the parents and incoming freshmen. They are also receiving copies of the flyers in their information packets. Brandon has had the opportunity to visit with the Chamber of Commerce several times and all of their committee members have received a copy of the Blue and Gold Week activities. Something that the Chamber is very proud of is that the day that students will move-in there will be approximately 200 people here from the community to help the students with the moving process. Brandon told Senate members that the fundamental underlying concept of this week is getting students connected.
- Call to Order- Benitz
- Open Floor– Staff members are welcome to have open discussion with Senate
- Adoption of Agenda(with the addition of Guest Speakers (Letter B) under New Business) – Kauders, Heinowski
- Approval of Minutes (with spelling correction of Kauder to Kauders under Senate Roundtable Discussion)– Schaffnitt, Morehouse
- Financial Report – Kauders presented a breakdown of all the Staff Senate expenses for the 2006-2007 fiscal year. John Lakey stated that he would find funding for the extra $50 spent for the UNK Day breakfast. It is estimated that $1100 is spent to finance Staff Senate core activities. Discussion was held among Senate members on various fundraising ideas. Guest Dee Ellingson expressed some concern that although individual Staff Senate Committees do a lot of their own fundraising, they do need some help financing activities.
- Correspondence - none
- Unfinished Business
- Update and Feedback
UNK Day (formerly “July 1 Celebration”)
a. Funding Availabilities for future – Brandon told Senate members there was some concern expressed that this year’s UNK Day breakfast was not a hot breakfast – only breads and fruit. This type of breakfast was chosen because Staff Senate does not have the funding ($1000) available to spend on a hot breakfast. Last year, the cost of the breakfast was paid for from a private donation. Funding and event options were discussed among Senate members.
B. 2007-2008 Goals Update
1. By-laws/Officer Duties Update – Brandon received an e-mail from Rochelle Krueger regarding the by-laws/officer duties. The Procedures Committee and the Senate Executive Committee will meet to discuss the
matter further .
2. Addition of department affiliation to list of committee members – Senate members received a copy of the current committee members. Corrections to the list include: Michelle Fuestman to Michelle Young (Residential and Greek Life); substitute Bryce Abbey (Wellness Program) for Deb Lundeen on the Professional Development Committee; and add Scott Fransk (Intramurals) to the Professional Development Committee. Brandon will send this updated committee list out via e-mail to the campus community.
3. Fundraising – Fundraising was discussed during the Financial Report.
C. List of Staff Senate-appointed representatives from all University and/or
System-wide committees to Committee list – These names were included on the committee list circulated to Senate members.
- Committee Reports
A. Election Committee – No Report
B. Employee Recognition Committee – No Report
C. Performance Management Committee – No Report
D. Procedures Committee – No Report
E. Professional Development Committee – Cheryl Bressington -
E-mails have gone out regarding the Poker Walk on August 2. Volunteers are needed to help at the various stations. The Staff Recognition Day will be on January 3, 2008, at 9:00-10:00 a.m., in the Ponderosa Room. The Loper Office Makeover and the New U Makeover will be held this fall.
F. Mentoring Committee – Deb Gilbertson – Linda and Dee are meeting with the participants for Leadership UNK soon. John Lakey stated that Pepsi funding was secured for next year’s Leadership UNK.
G. Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – John Lakey -
Danielle Schultz and Mary Holoubeck received the Office/Service
Dependent Scholarships for 2007-2008. A thank you from Mary Holoubeck was passed around to Senate members to read.
H. Information Technology Advisory Committee – No Report
I. Strategic Planning Committee – No Report
- New Business
A. S.A.F.E. Award Nominations – John Lakey
Five nominations were received – three from Office/Service and two from Managerial/Professional. The applications will be forwarded to the Staff Senate Executive Committee for selection. UNK has again secured funding for this award from TIAA-CREF for next year. Brandon will draft a thank you note to TIAA-CREF.
B. Guest Speakers: Potential speakers include: the Chancellor, new Interim Dean Peter Longo, and the Nebraska Safety Center Director Gordon Brooks. Other potential speakers were discussed among Senate members.
- Staff Senate Roundtable – Staff members update the Senate on events happening in their offices/departments
Cheryl Bressington – Doing job searches
Audrey Kauders -
Mike Geiger – We had a big project - asbestos removal; getting the rooms in order in CTE; painting; and cleaning up vandalism done to CTW.
Mark Morehouse – Res Hall project is on schedule and on budget – there will be some landscaping done, hopefully, before Blue and Gold.
Wilma Heinowski – Parking permits on now on sale
Jan Beerbohm – Students on Webeasi can set up a direct deposit to their bank account for any refunds that will be issued to them.
Deb Gilbertson – Cleaning dorms
Jami Schaffnitt –
Brandon Benitz –UNK used a 4.4% salary pool for staff salary increases on July 1, 2007. The percentage of salary increases given to staff could vary based on performance and merit. Also, there are 434 staff members on campus – 378 full-time and 56 part-time. There are 377 faculty members on campus.
John Lakey – Salary notification letters have gone out.
A. Staff Senate is always seeking nominations for Employee and Department of the Month! All nomination forms are available on-line on the Staff Senate webpage
B. Anyone in the UNK community is encouraged to attend Staff Senate meetings
C. Next Meeting – August 21st @ 10:30 a.m. in the Sandhills Dining Room of the Nebraskan Student Union.
- Adjourn – meeting was adjourned at 12:02 p.m.