UNK Department of the Month
The UNK Staff Senate is honored to recognize eCampus as the September 2007 UNK Department of the Month. Previously known as Continuing Education, eCampus collaborates with the academic departments, as well as various student support units, to offer quality, affordable programs to place-bound, non-traditional students. In recent years, these programs have transitioned from face-to-face offerings to primarily online delivery. The demand for online programs has been rapidly rising with more Universities entering the market and becoming fiercely competitive. UNK’s eCampus continues to remain on the competitive edge and has experienced growth in many areas this past year.
The information below compares the 2005-06 to 2006-07 academic years:
• Total online enrollment increased by 872 from 3,488 students in 2005-06 to 4,360 students in 2006-07 – a 25% increase
• Online graduate enrollment increased by 837 from 2,379 to 3,216
• Online undergraduate enrollment increased by 35 from 1,109 to 1,144
• Faculty teaching online courses has grown from 116 to 158
• Number of online courses offered increased from 269 to 342
• Online students are located in 45 states
• Over 558 faculty and staff attended eLuncheons, workshops, technology sessions, and SIOT training the past two years
In addition, eCampus continues to support faculty and staff in their online efforts. A Course Template is now available to faculty for use in Blackboard to ease the transition in developing an online course. Also, an Online Student Orientation has been developed to help students find the services they need and to provide tutorials and information that will help them succeed.
The eCampus staff includes Gloria Vavricka, Director of eCampus, Steve McGahan, Lead Instructional Designer; Karen Premer, Instructional Designer; Julie Saalfeld, Office Associate; and Heather Rhinehart, Office Associate. eCampus is under the leadership of Dr. Carol Lomicky, Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and Research, and Dr. Kenya Taylor, Dean of Graduate Studies & Research.
For the efforts, and the successes, of the eCampus staff, the UNK Staff Senate is pleased to recognize the eCampus office as the September 2007 UNK Department of the Month.
Thank you to the sponsors of the Department of the Month: UNK Athletics and Staff Senate