Dr. Lois Flagstad
Dean of Student Life
UNK Employee of the Month
The UNK Staff Senate is privileged to recognize Lois Flagstad as the June 2007 UNK Employee of the Month. Lois has been with the University of Nebraska at Kearney for 16 years beginning as a Counselor in the Counseling Center (now Counseling Care). During that time she has served as Director of the Counseling Center, Director of Residential and Greek Life, and most recently as Dean of Student Life. Through Lois’ leadership, the individual departments, and the division as a whole, have grown to meet the challenges of changing from a state college to a campus in the University of Nebraska system.
Some of the projects that Lois has impacted include:
- Helping the Counseling Center grow from a two person department to a six person department to handle the increased demand for student services
- Leading the efforts for Residential and Greek Life to complete a residential renewal plan and see the first of three new residence halls constructed to open this fall
- Creating a Judicial Officer position to handle the various disciplinary issues with students on campus
- Forming a Student Behavioral Concerns Board to address psychological and behavioral situations students encounter and bring the appropriate campus-wide resources to assist them
- Being instrumental in developing an Emergency Operations Team to plan for emergency situations as they arise.
Lois has provided several additional student programs and services with little or no additional resources. She continues to seek out avenues to better serve and educate our students, parents, and the UNK community. Lois has completed these various projects with teamwork, dedication, and a deep love of providing service to students. Lois' dedication, encouragement and leadership as she serves students, student's families and staff as they strive for and reach their goals mirrors her positive appreciation of life. When devastating obstacles or challenges are encountered, her understanding serves the university well.
Her continued outreach to improve the quality of services and the staff that provide those services reflect her continuing goal of excellence. Dr. Flagstad partners with faculty, staff, and students to maximize the aspirations and talents that showcase UNK as a premier educational institution. For all of these reasons, the UNK Staff Senate is honored to recognize Dr. Lois Flagstad as the June 2007 UNK Employee of the Month.
The Employee of the Month is sponsored by: UNK Athletics, UNK Theater, Campus Cuts, Chartwells and the Antelope Bookstore.