Staff Senate Minutes - June 20, 2006
10:30 a.m., Sisler Room, Memorial Student Affairs Building
Administrative: Bressington, Kauders, Schroeder
Service: Geiger, Gilbertson, Uden
Office: Beerbohm, Meier
Managerial/Professional: Benitz, Schaffnitt
Recognition of Employee of the Month –– Gloria Mason, Computer Software Tech III, Information Technology
Recognition of the Department of the Month –– ITS Network Services, Information Technology Services
I. Call to Order & Introductions- Schroeder
II. Adoption of Agenda – Kauders/Geiger
III. Minutes of May 16, 2006 meeting – Approved as amended - Kauders/Morehouse
IV. Financial Report – Approved - Uden/Bressington
V. Correspondence - None
VI. Unfinished Business
A. Executive Committee Report on Meeting with Chancellor - Schroeder -
- New Residence Hall Construction Update - Construction will begin about August 1. Sampson Construction is the general contractor. Over 4 million was cut from the project while still allowing one hall to be completed by Fall 2007, maintaining the same number of beds and the size of the rooms, and retaining the bridge room between the two east buildings.
- Biennial Budget - Budget preparations are underway and term limits will impact the University's interaction with the legislature. State Senators with experience in the budgeting process will be leaving the legislature.
- Passage of LB605 - LB605 provided UNK with $18,000 for a utilities infrastructure upgrade and $14,000 for an addition to and renovation of Bruner Hall.
B. July 1 Celebration on June 30– Encouraged senators to be there at 7:00 am and to wear their Staff Senate badges. At 7:30 there will be a short presentation at which time the Chancellor will speak. Staff Senate members who are present will be recognized as well as present and past members of the Employee Recognition committee
C. UNK Events Calendar Followup – Glennis Nagel was contacted and indicated that she had tried on numerous occasions to get information from the music department and was unsuccessful. Suggestion that Curt Carlson be contacted to encourage departments to share information regarding upcoming events.
VII. Committee Reports
A. Election Committee – No Report
B. Employee Recognition Committee – No Report
C. Performance Management Committee – No Report
D. Procedures Committee – Bressington - Meeting on changes to by-laws - nothing final to report at this meeting.
E. Professional Development Committee – Bressington - Poker Walk postponed - may be held sometime in the Fall.
1. Making a Difference Subcommittee - No Report
2. Mentoring Subcommittee - Uden - Committee not meeting in summer but calling tree is maintained and subcommittee members deliver packets to new employees hired during that time.
F. Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – No Report
G. Information Technology Advisory Committee – No Report
H. Strategic Planning Committee – No Report
VIII. New Business - Goals for 2006/2007 Year -
- Serve as communication conduit for staff.
- Set up e-mail listserve for staff only.
- Change format of newsletter so it is similar to the student bulletin and doesn't require opening an attachment.
- Set up Blackboard organization for staff senate members to share documents.
- Get input from constituents i.e. facilities staff, residence life staff, etc. before meeting with Chancellor again.
- Recruit at least one new member for each Staff Senate committee.
- Add information to the Staff Senate web site about the time commitment for membership on each committee and the meeting schedule for each committee.
- Serve as advocate for staff participation on University-wide committees and at open forums
- Arrange for regular reports from University-wide committees, including U-wide benefits, U-wide wellness and U-wide gender equity committees.
- Be a proactive organization.
- Encourage participation in open forums to address campus issues and forums scheduled by campus search committees.
A. Memorial Monies - Morehouse reported that Kristi Anderson's parents will donate memorial
monies to be used for purchase of a bench and rose bushes at the west softball fields.
B. Next Meeting – Tuesday, July 18 @ 10:30 a.m. Sandhills Room, Nebraskan Student Union
X. Adjourn – Meeting was adjourned at 12:00 p.m.