The July, 2006 Department of the Month is the Commencement Committee.
The Commencement Committee is comprised of many individuals who take on the tedious and complicated task of commencement. The Committee meets at least once prior to each commencement to discuss the physical set-up and organize the various aspects of commencement and rehearsal. It is without a doubt one of the most task-driven events that occurs on this campus.
Some of the daunting tasks the committee handles are:
- Information has to be obtained for both the Honors Breakfast Program and Commencement Program including music participants and music selections, Readers and Hooders who assist at the ceremonies
- Gather and organize information for commencement program (letter from Chancellor, agenda program page, list of Regents, including student regent, list of Administration, special write-ups on award recipients.
- Provide University Communications Office with the following information:
Names and hometowns of the student participant ~ senior response
Special music participants
Regent giving welcome
Biography, photo and topic of Commencement Speaker
Names of Hooders and Readers
Any special awards presentations
- Conduct rehearsal exercises the day prior to a ceremony. This is where graduates receive information regarding marching and the ceremony activities.
- Facilities staff are used to set up of stage, chairs and other equipment as needed
This is a small amount of the work that goes into planning, organizing and implementing a graduation ceremony at UNK and there are many more who are behind the scenes that make commencement happen: Committee Members include:
Kathy Smith ~ Chair
Karen Atteberry ~University Relations
Shahram Alavi ~ Faculty Representative, College of Natural & Social Sciences
Betty Bethell ~ Faculty Representative, College of Education
Carmen Brewer ~ Registrar’s Office
Andy Craig ~ Ambassador Coordinator
Christina Frazer ~ Graphics & Publications Services
Michelle Hamaker ~ Public Safety
Wilma Heinowski ~ Public Safety
Linda Johnson ~ Graduate Office
Vani Kotcherlakota ~ Faculty Representative, College of Business & Technology
John Lakey ~ Human Resources
Rob Luscher ~ Faculty Representative, College of Fine Arts & Humanities
Ken Nikels ~ Graduate Office
Sharon Pelc ~ Student Union
Kim Schipporeit ~ Registrar's Office
Linda Schroeder ~ University Communications
Ann Tillery ~ University Communications
Bonnie Payne ~ Facilities
The members of the Commencement Committee are extremely dedicated to their individual assignments and responsibilities of making certain every ceremony becomes a memorable occasion for the graduates and their families. For their dedication the Commencement Committee deserves the July 2006 UNK Department of the Month award.
Thank you to Department of the Month sponsors UNK Athletics and UNK Staff Senate.