Staff Senate Minutes - February 21 , 2006
10:30 a.m., Room 310, Nebraskan Student Union
Employee of the Month: Marcial Gugelman, Building Service Technician
Department of the Month: Parking Services
Administrative: Bressington, Kauders, Schroeder
Managerial/Professional: Benitz, Morehouse, Newton
Service: Geiger, Rinaker, Uden
Office: Beerbohm, Larson, Weed
Chancellor Kristensen was the guest speaker and brought campus updates to the Senate including:
- LB605 - Bonds Bill - to change provisions relating to construction and improvement projects; to harmonize provisions; to repeal the original sections; and to declare an emergency.
- Strategic Planning -a new mission statement is being created that identifies 5 or 6 goals and objectives. The next step is to review these goals and determine how they can be carried out. This should take place in about 3-4 weeks.
- Climate Survey - The climate survey was well received with a 60% return. Thank you to Cheryl Bressington and Kay Payne for their hard work! The Administrative Council will now review with strategies to address issues that were brought up from the results.
- Women's Center - Last fall several groups interested in women's issues proposed that UNK establish a Women's Center at UNK. As a result of that proposal, we have comprehensively evaluated our organizational structure, personnel strengths and assignments, funding, physical space, and programming on those issues, and we have also reviewed approaches that institutions similar to UNK have taken on these matters. In general we have concluded that the proposal has pointed us in a very good direction. The Center will occupy space in the Counseling office.
- Differential Tuition - exploring possibilities with different academic disciplines.
- Tuition Break Program - Available to students in individual disciplines.
- Residence Hall construction update - Chancellor reported that demolition is ahead of schedule.
I. Call to order - President Newton
II. Adoption of Agenda - Kauders/Beerbohm
III. Minutes of January 17, 2006 meeting approved - Kauders/Morehouse
IV. Financial Report – Kauders reported on balance of accounts. Kauders requested information concerning a bill from Chartwells in the amount of $34.85. Please, when submitting payment notify Kauders of amount and vendor name along with purpose of purchase!
V. Correspondence - None
VI. Unfinished Business- None
VII. Committee Reports
A. Election – Beginning March 1 staff will receive an email explaining the process for upcoming elections. Final elections will begin on Thursday, March 23, 2006. Those individuals receiving nominations will be given a copy of the by-laws, as well as the purpose and goals of the Senate to
determine if they choose to accept the nomination. New members will attend the April meeting and be sworn in and begin their official service at the May meeting.
B. Employee Recognition Committee – Morehouse reported that the committee had met and suggested purchasing some type of food machine that could be used during Campus wide events i.e.; Blue and Gold, Staff Appreciation, etc. designated gift from a donor.
C. Performance Management Committee – Lakey reported the Employee Handbooks is moving from hard copy to electronic version. He said that there was some confusion in February as to a letter that was mailed from HR about the NU Values and the Policy and Procedure updated version. NU Values is the system that will be used for classification/compensation of office/service and managerial/professional employees. This includes the classification of employees, setting salaries for new hires and current employees, promotions, demotions, career development, etc. The processes of doing this is all part of NU Values - What is out on the UNK HR web site for policies and procedures is the update version of these policies and procedures. The hard copy employee handbook that was given office/service employees when they were hired is no longer valid. Any changes in these policies and procedures will be announced through flashpoints, an e-mail to all employees, and will be highlighted in the UNK HR web site.
D. Procedures Committee – No Report
E. Professional Development Committee – Bressington reported that Pepsi Funds were obtained. The committee will be finalizing the proposal for Making a Difference next week. Benitz reported that this year the committee will again be offering Administrative Professional Day gifts. This year miniature flower pots with goodies will be sold.
F. Office/Service Dependent Scholarship – Kathy Livingston will again serve on the Scholarship selection Committee. Deadline for applications was March 1.
G. Making a Difference – No Report
H. Mentoring – No Report
I. Information Technology Advisory Committee – No Report
J. Strategic Planning Committee – No Report
VIII. New Business - None
Next Meeting – March 21, 2006, 10:30 a.m., Nebraskan Student Union Room 310. Meetings are open to all UNK employees. Vice Chancellor Randy Haack will be our special guest.
X. Meeting Adjourned