The Employee Recognition Committee of Staff Senate is pleased to announce the December 2003 Commitment to Service Award is being given to the UNK Health and Wellness Committee.
The objective of the Employee Health and Wellness Program is: "to provide an organized program intended to assist employees in making positive voluntary behavior changes. Reducing health risks and enhancing individual morale will create a positive, health work environment and community." This committee has been the point guard in UNK becoming a Well Workplace and Kearney being included among a select number communities designated as Well Cities.
Membership in the program is open to all UNK employees and their immediate family members. Benefits include the following:
- Monthly updates on upcoming health and wellness program activities at UNK and in the community
- Personal health education on weight management/loss, diabetes, stress management and physical activity
- Invitations to monthly "Lunch & Learn" sessions and behavior modification programs
- E-mails regarding health and wellness program offerings on campus such as walking and fitness programs, nutritional education, ergonomics, work and family issues, health screenings, stress reductions and behavior modification programs
- Incentives for participation in the programs
On a regular basis, the committee provides opportunities for participation in exercise programs, updating them to keep people interested in new activities. They provide support and related activities during national programs, including the "Great American Smokeout" and the Kearney "Walk Out On Your Job" event. Healthful recipes are shared to help people provide nutritious family meals, suggestions are given on how to "Eat on the Run" in a healthy manner, and research is shared with the University community to keep personnel healthy and on the job.
Health and Wellness Committee members include: Kate Heelan, assistant professor, HPER/LS, Health & Wellness Program; Renee' Steinkruger, graduate assistant/Health & Wellness Program coordinator; Anita Kucera, director of Residential/Greek Life; Cheryl Bressington, assistant director of Human Resources; John Lakey, director of Human Resources; Eve Scantling, lecturer, HPER/LS; Michelle Hamacker, director of Public Safety; Ismael Torres, student health educator; Shelly Urkoski, director of Intramurals. We believe this committee is doing an outstanding job, and we appreciate all the committee is doing to encourage a healthy lifestyle for UNK employees.