The Staff Senate at the University of Nebraska at Kearney would like to congratulate Academic Advising for becoming the September 2002 Department of the Month.
The Academic Advising Center creates and distributes advising files for all admitted students, assigns academic advisors, coordinates major/advisor information, and assists deciding (undeclared) students with class schedules, selecting a major and other academic concerns.
Some of the specific accomplishments of this department include:
- advise 656 undecided students in fall 2002
- assist students changing majors (150-200 per month)
- process Early Warning Referrals to 300-400 students per semester
- contact parents for additional support of students in the Partners Achieving Student Success (206 participants this fall)
- offer assistance to students on academic probabtion (150 students)
- coordinate the advising function during summer advising and enrollment including assigning advisors and daily presentations
- work closely with the First Year Experience Committee to coordinate successful programming
All of this from a two-woman office! Because of the dedication to students, to colleagues and to the wider UNK community, the University of Nebraska at Kearney is pleased to name Academic Advising as the Department of the Month, September 2002.