The Employee Recognition Committee of Staff Senate would like to congratulate the Office of Multicultural Affairs for the February 2003 Department of the Month award.
The main mission of the Office of Multicultural Affairs is the recruitment and retention of all multicultural African American, Asian American, Hispanic American, Native American students through programs including new student orientation, cultural celebrations, one-to-one and group counseling and scholarship formation. This department has a library of multicultural resources, offers presentations on multicultural experiences, posts a calendar of multicultural events and helps UNK become sensitized to multiculturalism.
The recent events organized, hosted or supported by the Office include:
- Martin Luther King Day March and Program: This event has become an annual event during the last three years under the guidance of the Multicultural Office. The march begins at the bell tower on the birthday of Martin Luther King and concludes with a program prepared by students honoring Rev. King. Birthday cake is then shared by attendees.
- African American History Month: Also known as Black History Month, the Multicultural Office provides many opportunities in February for the campus to celebrate. This year's events include a Poetry Slam on February 13, "A Lesson Before Dying" on February 20, and The Soul Food Cafe on February 27.
- Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated September 15 through October 15. The Multicultural Affairs office works with student groups and leaders on the campus to provide a wide variety of activities during that time period.
- Many student groups are sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs including Hispanic Student Association and Student Kouncil of Inter-tribal Nations.
- Last fall the Office moved their 'office' to the Student Union building to better serve the needs of students and the campus.
Because of the dedication to students, to colleagues and to the wider UNK community, the University of Nebraska is pleased to name the Office of Multicultural Affairs as the Department of the Month for February 2003.