The Employee Recognition Committee of Staff Senate would like to congratulate the Counseling Center for the January 2003 Department of the Month award.
The Counseling Center offers professional personal and group counseling free to UNK students and help to sponsor several support groups: Transitions, ACME for student with significant emotional issues, STEPS for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender students, Eating Disorders, and more.
While on call 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, the Center provides numerous workshops and programs on topics related to students in classrooms and on campus. Mediation services and consultations with faculty and staff is also a part of the Center's role on campus.
Specific activities that the Counseling Center has been involved in include:
- host teas for international students and UNK athletes during the summer
- provide Walk-In Wednesdays which allow students to come into the Center without an appointment and visit with a counselor
- offer alcohol education classes during the interim where there was no health educator on campus
- assist the Learning Strategies program by providing a counselor as an instructor for the Foundations class
- arrange accommodations and accessibility for students with disabilities
- advise the group CIA (Collegians for Integration and Accessibility)
- coordinate and support the Disability Awareness Week
- provide support staff for academic advising in the summer
- serve on committees throughout the UNK Campus
Because of the dedication to students, to staff and to the wider UNK community, the University of Nebraska at Kearney is pleased to name the Counseling Center its Department of the Month for January 2003.