Staff Senate Minutes - December 16, 1997
Employee of the Month: Bari McCormick, Director of Intramural.
Present: Dennis Choplin, Susan Downey, Dee Ellingson, Shelly Fleck, Anita Kucera, John Lakey, Kathy Livingston, Bonnie Mumm, Stephen Robinson, Jane Sheldon, and Judy Spellman.
Absent: Marilyn Andersen, Rex Kendall.
Guests: Dr. Wozniak - A copy of the "Final Version of the Academic Calendar Proposals" as presented for consideration was handed out. Implementation of outlined changes has not been established. The academic calendar concerns, Labor Day, addition of fall break, celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. day, and Spring break change were addressed. Staff Senate endorsed the proposal as written (Ellingson, Mumm).
- The meeting was called to order.
- The agenda was adopted as amended.
- The November minutes were approved as amended.
- Unfinished Business:
- Robert's Rules of Order - Spellman gave a visual presentation of the history, advantages of use type of motion, and strategy.
- Staff Senate Committee Reports:
- Office Service Advisory: Ellingson presented the Office/Service Advisory Council survey which identified salary, communication and human relations training/education as main issues of concern. Discussion included:
- Methodology of survey
- Selection of survey participants
- Report added
- Child Care Committee: Lakey shared the "Resolution on Campus Child Care" for review, discussion and endorsement.
- Endorsement of the resolution was passed (Robinson/Fleck) after discussion which included the following:
- Funding and cost
- Benefit and use by students, staff, and faculty
- Chancellor's Multicultural Affairs Advisory Council: Robinson.
- Establish master calendar of all Multicultural activities
- Forward activities to Enrollment Services
- Increase visibility
- Better use of resources and funds
- Create a homepage to identify and advertise all activities
- Robinson is member of University Wide Diversity Committee
- Report in February on the climate on all campuses
- L. Dennis Smith proposes to have a person in Central Administration to oversee diversity issues by mid-spring
- Gender Equity: Spellman.
- Held three gender equity forums at UNK
- Surveying campus for climate
- Preparing an "exit" interview for staff/faculty use
- Young attending "Gender Equity" meeting on December 16, 1997 in Lincoln
- Classification Compensation: Lakey requested reaction to the meetings on the new classification compensation. Advised continued direct involvement by Staff Senate.
- 1998 Crisis Leave Policy: Lakey.
- Draft copy of the UNK Crisis Leave Plan was distributed and discussed.
- Policy will be forwarded to Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance and to Central Administration for final consideration and implementation.
- Crisis Leave Committee includes the following: Jane Sheldon, Kathy Livingston, Sue Downey, Rex Kendall, and Dee Ellingson.
- New Business:
- 1998 Meetings are as follows:
- January 20, February 17, March 17, April 21, May 19, June 16, July 21, August 18, September 15, October 20, November 17, December 15.
- Location will be the Art Gallery of the Nebraskan Student Union.
- Mumm encouraged nominations for the Employee of the Month. There are many staff people deserving of this recognition.
- Motion by Spellman, seconded by Sheldon.
The January meeting is Tuesday, January 20, 1998 at 9:30 a.m. in the Art Gallery of the Nebraskan Student Union.
The February meeting will be Tuesday, February 17 at 10:00 a.m. in the Art Gallery of the Nebraskan Student Union.