Staff Senate Minutes - November 18, 1997
Employee of the Month: Paul Buresh from Journalism/Mass Communication.
Present: Dennis Choplin, Susan Downey, Dee Ellingson, Rex Kendall, Anita Kucera, John Lakey, Kathy Livingston, Bonnie Mumm, Stephen Robinson, Jane Sheldon, and Judy Spellman.
Absent: Marilyn Andersen, Shelly Fleck.
Guest: Randall Haack, Vice Chancellor, Business and Finance.
- The meeting was called to order.
- The agenda was adopted.
- The October minutes were approved as amended.
- Unfinished Business:
- Members of Staff Senate were encouraged to attend the Gender Equity Forums.
- Content and presentation of the annual report were discussed. The final report will be presented to Staff Senate in December and forwarded to the Chancellor.
- Staff Senate Committee Reports: Each committee gave highlights and an overview of this year's accomplishments and next year's goals.
- Employee Recognition: Mumm reported on the Employee of the Month recognition, discussed the hope for re-establishment of the Pratt-Heins for staff and/or a similar award. Also, additional emphasis on forwarding employees from UNK for submission of Kudos.
- Election: Livingston reported that the Election Committee is active for only a few months during the year. However, the deadlines create a very focused time to accomplish the elections as dictated by the bylaws. Replacement of members when a vacancy will be done as dictated by Staff Senate bylaws.
- Performance Management: Livingston identified the following as the main items on the agenda:
T here has been some progress in fact finding and identification of these issues. These will be continued for the next year. The priority will be employee evaluations due to the salary distribution issue.
- pay for performance
- employee evaluations
- benefits i.e. day care
- salary equity
- Procedures: Downey identified the refining of the Staff Senate bylaws as a major accomplishment for increased efficiency. In addition, the Board of Regents bylaws were reviewed by the committee for compliance of our bylaws and knowledge of policies.
- Professional Development: Sheldon reported that an additional avenue has been added to increase availability to weather related information i.e. storm day. Other ideas pursued include
- staff development
- new employee mentoring
- new employee orientation
- New Business:
- The new crisis leave policy will be in effect beginning January 1997. An ad hoc committee (Livingston, Sheldon, Kendall, Ellingson) will draft guidelines ideas for presentation at the next Staff Senate meeting.
- A brief overview of the election of officers and their respective duties was given. Lakey then proceeded to chair the election of officers:
- Chair: Kucera was nominated by Spellman, seconded by Dee Ellingson. Livingston was nominated by Mumm, seconded by Sheldon. Anita Kucera will be chair.
- Vice Chair: Mumm was nominated by Livingston, seconded by Downey. Spellman was nominated by Kendall, seconded by Ellingson. Bonnie Mumm will be the Vice Chair.
- Secretary: Spellman was nominated by Ellingson, seconded by Downey. There were no other nominations and a vote closed nominations. Judy Spellman will be secretary.
- Committee Replacements are as follows:
- Election: Kathy Livingston, Jane Sheldon, Steve Robinson, Shelly Fleck, Marilyn Anderson.
- Performance Management: Dee Ellingson, Rex Kendall, Kathy Livingston, Steve Robinson.
- Procedures: Marilyn Anderson, Sue Downey, Dennis Choplin, Dee Ellingson.
- Professional Development: Jane Sheldon, Bonnie Mumm, Shelly Fleck, Judy Spellman.
- Recognition: Rex Kendall, Bonnie Mumm, Kathy Livingston.
- A request for representation for the Committee for On-Campus Child Care will be filled by Robinson.
- Staff Senate will host the Faculty/Staff Club on April 3rd at the Alumni House. Additional information will be provided at a later date.
- Accomplishments of the past year include
- web page
- Guest Speaker: Randall Haack, Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance addressed the issues of 1997-98 operating budget. He identified some ares of confusion regarding recent budget discussions. He shared the positive areas of the budget and enlightened us on the budget process.
- The meeting was adjourned.
The next Staff Senate meeting will be in the Zikmund Room of the Health and Sports Center at 9:30 a.m., December 16, 1997.