Staff Senate Minutes - July 17, 1997
Employee of the Month: Darlene Jatczak, Residence Life.
Present: Marilyn Andersen, Sue Bettermann, Sue Downey, Terry Fraley, Mike Heffernan, Carleen Jurgensen, Anita Kucera, John Lakey, Kathy Livingston, Glennis Nagel, Jane Sheldon, Judy Spellman.
Absent: Bonnie Mumm.
Guest: Dr. Steve Robinson, associate vice chancellor for Enrollment Services, gave a presentation on enrollment management, which he described as a relatively new concept in the last 10-15 years. Enrollment management, he said, is more efficient in helping students and is designed to accommodate students from the time they consider UNK to graduation. The goal is to become effective and efficient in helping students, which includes eliminating student lines. Enrollment management is more about communication than it is about sales. He described UNK as a premier residential undergraduate university with selected graduate offerings. "We are a distinctively different university." The number one selling point for international students is that we have a safe community, he said.
Agenda: Carleen/Judy approved the meeting agenda at 10:20 a.m.
Minutes: Minutes for June were approved as amended.
- Web Page Subcommittee. Kathy shared the address for the Staff Senate Web Page, www.unk.edu/catalog/staff_senate/home.htm.
- Stationery. Judy reported that the Staff Senate stationery is in progress.
- Bylaw Amendments. Carleen shared the proposed bylaw amendments. Action on the amendments was tabled until the next Staff Senate meeting. (Kathy/Judy)
Staff Senate Committee Reports:
- Performance Management.
- UNK Diversity Guide. Sue B. reported that the web site link to the Diversity Guide would be to the Staff Senate page. Kathy/Carleen moved and seconded a motion that Staff Senate work on the guide. Sue D. and Sue B. will work on the guide.
- Staff Excellence Award. Sue B. reported that both the Employee Recognition and Performance Management Committees have discussed the award. Kathy discussed award criteria. The award project was moved to the Employee Recognition Committee. John was designated to work on the award project.
Campus Committee Reports:
- No reports.
- Jane reported that speed dial numbers will be listed in the new phone directory and in the next issue of NEWSbreak.
- The Zikmund Conference Room will continue to be the meeting site next semester.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned before noon. (Kathy/Carleen)