Staff Senate Minutes - June 17, 1997
Employee of the Month: The Employee of the Month Award will be presented next month.
Present: Marilyn Andersen, Sue Bettermann, Sue Downey, Carleen Jurgensen, Anita Kucera, Kathy Livingston, Bonnie Mumm, Glennis Nagel, Jane Sheldon, Judy Spellman.
Absent: Terry Fraley, Mike Heffernan, John Lakey.
Guest: Dr. Ann Young.
Guest Presentation: Dr. Ann Young, chair of the Chancellor's Advisory Committee on Gender Equity, spoke to the group about the committee's mission. The committee is charged with: (1) reviewing and making recommendations regarding campus policies and practices with regard for gender equity, and (2) maintaining equity, rather than simply dealing with issues as they arise. The group meets at least twice a semester and includes a chair, the affirmative action officer, two faculty from each college, a graduate student, two undergraduate students, one managerial/professional representative, one office/service representative and a campus minister. UNK has two representatives on the university-wide committee--Dr. Young and Dr. Liz Peck, English. Dr. Young reviewed the seven goals that have been set by the Board of Regents and discussed President Smith's Gender Equity Task Force. She then responded to questions from Staff Senate members.
Agenda: Carleen/Judy approved the meeting agenda.
Minutes: Minutes for May were approved as amended.
- Web Page Subcommittee. Kathy reviewed progress on the Staff Senate's Web Page. Minutes of Senate meetings are being included as will photos of Senate members and information that appears in the current Staff Senate brochure. Minutes of subcommittees will not be included, but a listing of committees and committee chairs will be.
- Student Handbooks and Parents Handbooks. Judy distributed copies of the Student Handbooks and Parents Handbooks to Staff Senate members.
Staff Senate Committee Reports:
- Recognition Committee. Kathy noted that Darlene Jatczak is the Employee of the Month. However, she will not be recognized until next month, because she is on vacation. In other business, the committee is looking into having the Staff Award included on the Foundation Fund Drive listings for the campus fund drive. This would be limited to the campus solicitation.
- Procedures Committee. Carleen presented the proposed revisions to the Staff Senate Bylaws for review. The revisions will be voted on at the next meeting.
Campus Committee Reports:
- No reports.
- TIAA. Judy told the group that TIAA has a Web site as well as a phone number where staff can get answers to questions about TIAA changes. TIAA information is also available on the Human Resources Home Page.
- Search Committee Representation. There was some discussion regarding Staff Senate representation on campus committees.
- Bonnie Mumm was introduced as a new member of Staff Senate. She replaces Judy Willett. Bonnie will serve on the Professional Development and Employee Recognition Committees.
- There will be five Staff Senate positions open this fall -- four to be elected and one appointed.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at noon. (Kathy/Judy)