Staff Senate Minutes - February, 1997
Employee of the Month: Presentation to Barbara Amundson for Employee of the Month.
Present: Marilyn Andersen, Sue Bettermann, Sue Downey, Terry Fraley, Carleen Jurgensen, Anita Kucera, John Lakey, Kathy Livingston, Judy Spellman and Judy Willett.
Absent: Mike Heffernan, Glennis Nagel and Jane Sheldon.
- Call to Order
- Report from meeting with the Chancellor
- Exempt vs. Non-exempt: Professional Management Committee to come up with draft to see how secretarial/professional positions fit with the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Chancellor's response to the Staff Senate brochure was positive. There was discussion regarding graphics.
- Staff Senate expressed appreciation to the Chancellor for ensuring Staff Senate's involvement in the search process for the vice chancellor for Business and Finance.
- President Smith's visit discussed. Staff Senate was not included.
- Staff Senate received approval for stationery.
- Chancellor has money for Professional Development and Self-Renewal but encouraged Staff Senate to use campus resources.
- Strategic Planning: Livingston reported. Meetings are once a month on Fridays lasting three hours. Role and mission discussed and an exercise was conducted to discuss internal and external weaknesses.
- Budget Committee: Livingston reported. Hearings will start 3/13/97. Twelve units on campus with each being asked to identify 3% reduction, enhancements, and to justify current budgets (unit based).
- Marketing: Lakey reported. Sees committee answering the questions: How do we go out and market UNK? Are we recruiting traditional or non-traditional students? Do we start requiring higher ACT scores?
- ADA - nothing to report
- Other - nothing
- Committee on Committees - no report
- Election Committee - no report
- Employee of the Month - Carol Best selected for March.
- Performance Management Committee - (see e-mail report)
- Procedures Committee - (see handout)
- Livingston volunteered to create Staff Senate Web Page
- Suggestion made to put something in writing to the Chancellor about #5 - requestiing representation of Staff Senate on Professional Conduct Committee.
- Andersen is reviewing the employee handbook. The committee will review the Employee Handbook for Managerial/Professional and Office/Service staff, and make acceptable suggestions and recommendations for revisions by April 30.
- Proffessional Development Committee - (e-mail report). Fleck's mini-lessons were discussed. Dr. Robinson's experience with other companies found that noon "Brown Bag" workshops were best.
- Brochure (discussed previously)
- New Business
- Kucera looked into why the pep band is not playing at the women's basketball game
- Kucera also looked into why the National Anthem is not played at women's basketball games. Athletic Director Dick Dull's reasoning is that the Anthem needs to be played seven minutes before the game and that there are no people present at that time. Someone mentioned that in Colorado, the men's and women's start times are alternated.
- Discussion on Employee of the Month Plaque presentation. The plaque will hang in Founders Hall until the third week of the month, when the plaque will be presented to the employee as part of the regular Staff Senate meeting.
- Miscellaneous Topics
- Locate the "request for talent" list. Does Glennis send out that request at the beginning of the year or does Student Life, Rudy Lewis or Sheila Schuld?
- Make sure Chancellor has names of ALL Staff Senate members for committee recommendations.
- Request from Anita: Minutes of committee meetings need to be distributed to all Staff Senate members.
The next meeting will be held at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 18, in the Zikmund Conference Room of the Health and Sports Center.