Staff Senate Minutes - November 17, 1998
Employee of the Month: Gail Kegley - secretary for the College of Education, Nebraska Network for Education Renewal.
Present: Dee Ellingson, Shelly Fleck, Carol Hines, John Lakey, Kathy Livingston, Tim McMullen, Bonnie Mumm, Jane Sheldon, and Rex Kendall.
Absent: Dennis Choplin, Stephen Robinson, Patty Sitorius, Sue Downey (resigned).
Guests: Judy Spellman, Anita Kucera.
- Introduction of new members and recognition of outgoing members. Certificates of Appreciation were presented to Anita Kucera, Kathy Livingston, and Judy Spellman.
- Election of New Officers - John Lakey
- Bonnie Mumm was nominated for President. A unanimous ballot was cast. (Kendall/Livingston)
- Vice President nominees were: Jane Sheldon (Livingston/Fleck) and Kathy Livingston (Mumm/Sheldon). Livingston was elected as Vice President.
- Dee Ellingson was nominated for Secretary. A unanimous ballot was cast. (Hines/Kendall)
- Call to Order -- President Mumm
- Adoption of Agenda
- Minutes of the October 20, 1998 meeting were approved as amended.
- Unfinished Business
- Annual Report - Kucera
Committee reports and the annual report will be submitted for the December meeting.
- Making a Difference at UNK - Ellingson
The "Making a Difference at UNK workshop was well attended by campus personnel. Attendance at the three sessions is as follows: 1) 102, 2) 145, and 3) 84. The comments were favorable for making this an annual workshop.
- Committee and Search Reports.
- Employee Recognition - Mumm
The Communicator will include a picture of Employee of the Month with the article. The current criteria for being an Employee of the Month is that the person is a full time staff member. The Employee Recognition Committee recommends that this be changed to indicate "all employees of the University of Nebraska at Kearney in a regular position (not temporary) who have been employed..." Recommended and passed by the Senate.
- Procedure - Livingston
- Need to review date for changing of officers to ensure a smooth transition.
- Need to form the new committees.
- New Business
- Ombudsperson Report Handout - Kucera
The 1997-1998 Ombudsperson Report was distributed for review. If members have any questions, please direct them to the Office of the Ombudsperson.
- U Wide Benefits handout - Kucera
Mary Tiedeman is the UNK campus representative. A brief written update was distributed. Please address any concerns or questions to John Lakey or Mary Tiedeman.
- Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs - Sheldon
The SVCAA search committee will include a member of Staff Senate. A name or names will be submitted to John Oseth.
- Presentation of Staff Senate concept - Kucera
On December 4, 1998 Kucera and Kendall will present the Staff Senate concept at UNL. There is interest to implement this concept at UNL and UNO.
- The December 15th meeting will be at 10:00 a.m. in the Art Gallery of the Nebraskan Student Union. Please plan to be prepared to create committees and establish new goals.