Staff Senate Minutes - August 18, 1998
Employee of the Month: Charles McGraw from the College of Business and Technology was presented with the award for August.
Present: Dennis Choplin, Sue Downey, Dee Ellingson, Shelly Fleck, Anita Kucera, John Lakey, Kathy Livingston, Bonnie Mumm, Jane Sheldon, and Judy Spellman.
Absent: Rex Kendall, Stephen Robinson, Patty Sitorius.
- Call to Order - Anita Kucera, Chair
- Adoption of the Amended Agenda (Livingston/Downey)
- Minutes of the July 21, 1998 meeting were approved.
- Unfinished Business
- Child Care - Lakey
A child care survey was conducted by students last year. This summer a staff survey was sent to all UNK office/managerial employees. A similar survey will be sent to all faculty this fall. The survey was created by John Anderson. The results will be compiled and reviewed by several on-campus groups. A committee will use the data to recommend implementation of a child care system. Child care is one of the issues identified as a significant concern by the Gender Equity Committee. All other campuses in our university system provide some type of self-supported day care.
- Blue and Gold activities - Kucera
- Handouts of the upcoming activities were distributed. Everyone was encouraged to be active in Fall Orientation. A suggestion for next year is for active participation in these activities by Staff Senate.
- UNK will have a float in the Homecoming parade in October. An ad-hoc committee of Mumm, Downey, Livingston, Ellingson, Spellman will plan parade/activities for Staff Senate participation.
- Committee and Search Reports.
- New Assistant Director of Human Resources -Cheryl Bressington.
- New Director of Residential and Greek Life - Cindy Spencer.
- New Assistant Director of Residential and Greek Life - Cami Wacker.
- Associate Director for Records and Registration - The process is ongoing.
- Professional Development - Sheldon
- A continued effort to provide a convenient, efficient packet of information and training fro new hires is ongoing.
- Office/Service Advisory Coundil is planning a "staff development" workshop on October 28th. A request was made to have Dr. Robinson speak regarding the "I Care" program. Information including the "Connections" training program will be available. Members expressed a need to encourage supervisors to allow staff to attend training sessions. A suggestion was made to require a specific number of hours of staff development as a part of the new employee evaluations.
- Employee Rrecognition -Mumm
A proposal regarding the UNK Staff Recognition Award was presented and recommended for approval with wording changes. The agreement to establish the Foundation account with John Lakey as the designated contact person was approved. (Livingston/Sheldon)
- Performance Management - Livingston
- The committe plans to draft a statement regarding evaluations to be submitted for review at the September meeting.
- Rationale suggested for Chancellor's Breakfast attendees is as follows:
- Office Service/Advisory Council and Staff Senate for the initial one.
- Then selection from the staff members who have agreed to serve on either Staff Senate or Office/Service Advisory Council.
- Suggest each breakfast should include a representative from Office/Service and Staff Senate.
- Election - Livingtson
- Staff Senate election ballots will be distributed to all eligible staff by the first Thursday in September.
- New Business
- UNK Employee Health and Wellness Program - Kucera
Shelly Fleck will be Staff Senate representative on this committee.
- Convocation and Staff Senate representative - Kucera.
Chair Kucera has been invited to speak at the Faculty Convocation on August 21, 1998. Ideas and concerns were requested for inclusion in the presentation.
- Homecoming is October 18, 1998.
- Fall Break is October 19 and 20, 1998.
- Adjournment (Ellingson/Mumm)
The next meeting will be Setptember 15, 1998 at 10:00 a.m. in the Art Gallery of the Nebraska Student Union.