Staff Senate Minutes - July 21, 1998
Employee of the Month: Mary Mora, secretary to the Department of English, was presented with the award for July.
Present: Dennis Choplin, Sue Downey, Dee Ellingson, Anita Kucera, Kathy Livingston, Bonnie Mumm, Jane Sheldon, and Judy Spellman.
Absent: Shelly Fleck, Rex Kendall, John Lakey, Stephen Robinson, Patty Sitorius.
- Call to Order - Anita Kucera, Chair
- Adoption of the Amended Agenda (Livingston/Mumm)
- Minutes of the June 16, 1998 meeting were approved as amended.
- Guest Speakers:
Deb Schroeder and Mitch O'Neill from Computer Services -
The Year 2000 or Y2K issue was addressed as it applies to the UNK campus. The planning and progress of Computer Services Department was communicated regarding Y2000 compliance. During August, computer discs will be distributed to check the bios and leap year capabilities of each computer to provide the information necessary to anticipate any necessary computer updates. Mitch O'Neill is the UNK campus coordinator for this project. Additional information will be provided periodically.
- Unfinished Business
- UNK Celebration on July 1, 1998
The July 1, 1998 Celebration was well attended. Approximately 300 staff and faculty attended the delicious breakfast provided by Chartwells. At the luncheon over 280 staff, faculty, students, and their families joined in a picnic. Everyone enjoyed the entertainment and the camaraderie. Many favorable comments for continuing this celebration to show appreciation for UNK employees were expressed. The cost to employees will be researched.
- Permormance Management - Livingston
The increased communication regarding the July 1, 1998 pay adjustments and the required use of performance evaluations per Regental policy created a more positive process this year. Continued concerns regarding the evaluations and the instruments used in the compliance of "pay for performance" continues to be a highly identifiable issue.
- Staff Senate has been asked to share the idea of a "staff senate" with other campuses. This idea will be re-examined. Staff Senate will ask John Lakey to pursue this idea with his counterparts on other campuses.
- Continued concern for quick access to Staff agenda and minutes has been addressed. Dennis Choplin should be addressed at email@example.com.
- Associate Director for Records and Registration - Four candidates have been interviewed.
- Area Coordinator for Residental and Greek Life - The process is ongoing.
- New Business
- Blue and Gold Activities will be August 21, 22, 23, 1998 including a Mardi Gras celebration on August 21st and mandatory fall orientation for all incoming freshman on August 22.
- Summer Advising and Enrollment has been a success.
- Adjournment (Sheldon/Choplin)