Staff Senate Minutes - June 16, 1998
Employee of the Month: Marcia Burman, secretary to the Dean of Fine Arts and Humanities, was presented with the award for the June Employee of the Month.
Present: Dennis Choplin, Sue Downey, Dee Ellingson, Shelly Fleck, Anita Kucera, Kathy Livingston, Bonnie Mumm, Stephen Robinson, Jane Sheldon, and Judy Spellman.
Absent: Rex Kendall, Patty Sitorius, John Lakey.
- Call to Order - Anita Kucera, Chair.
- Adoption of Agenda (Ellingson, Livingston)
- Minutes of the May 19, 1998 meeting were approved as amended.
- Unfinished Business - Meeting with Chancellor Johnston
- Reviewed with Dr. Johnston the request for a July 1 Staff Appreciation Celebraton which includes a breakfast provided by Chartwells, and a picnic to be provided at a minimal cost for the faculty, staff, students, and families. Requested and received approval of the event and funding for entertainment.
- Revisited budget concerns and request to have Kudos and Employee of the Month expenses as identified in Staff Senate budget.
- Supported the continuation of the Chancellor's Breakfasts with employees and Monday Morning Bulletins as very positive steps toward increased communication and affirmation of value of the individual employee to UNK.
- Thank you from Staff Senate to Randal Haack for financial support provided by UNK to employees for Employee of the Month and Kudos Awards.
- Expressed appreciation and support for the Retirement Luncheon and Service Awards but suggested the functions be scheduled at different times with the Service Awards in December or January when there were no classes.
- Committee and Search Reports
- Associate Director of Student Records and Registration - Robinson
The search was extended. Review of applications is planned for July.
- Residence Life - Kucera
The new Director of Residence Life is Cindy Spencer. The Assistant Director of Residential and Greek Life is Cami Wacker. An Area Coordinator position will be advertised in the near future.
- New Director of MONA is Sam Umland and Lori Harden is Curator.
- Admissions Counselor - Robinson
Two admissions Counselor positions are vacant.
- Athletic Director - Sitorius
Mike Sumpter will fill this position. He was employed at the Air Force Academy.
- Assistant Director of Human Resources - Lakey
Position has been advertised and should be filled soon.
- New Business
- Finalization of plans for "July 1 Q125 Staff Appreciation Celebration." Both Staff Senate and Office Service Advisory Council will co-host. Individual invitations will go to every employee. The Nebraskan Student Union will provide signage and balloons. The information is posted on the electronic sign. Additional reminders will be sent via e-mail before the event. Name tags will be available for all attendees. Steve Robinson will emcee.
- Adjournment. (Fleck/Livingston)
The next meeting will be July 21, 1998 at 10:00 a.m. in the Art Gallery of the Nebraskan Student Union.