Staff Senate Minutes - April 21, 1998
Employee of the Month: The presentation of the March Employee of the Month to Robin Harding was given at the April meeting. Cel Davis, Employee of the Month for April, will be awarded in May. The May Employee of the Month is David Peterson.
Present: Dennis Choplin, Sue Downey, Dee Ellingson, Shelly Fleck, Anita Kucera, John Lakey, Kathy Livingston, Bonnie Mumm, Jane Sheldon, and Judy Spellman.
Absent: Marilyn Anderson (resigned), Rex Kendall, Stephen Robinson.
- The meeting was called to order by Vice Chair Mumm.
- The amended agenda was adopted.
- Minutes of the March 17, 1998 meeting were approved. (Livingston/Ellingson)
- Unfinished Business
- The Executive Committee met with Chancellor Gladys Styles Johnston on March 26, 1998. Items discussed included the following:
T he Chancellor asked to meet again after the end of the Spring semester.
- a staff celebration day in July
- Chancellor's Monday bulletin
- Kudos and Employee of the Month
- salary issues and morage
- representation on all committees including search committees
- Faculty/Staff Club a/ka/ Friday Afternoon Club in April was hosted by Staff Senate and Office/Service Advisory Council. The function was well attended, the cost was minimal, and the profit of $98.00 will be used for establishing a service award for staff. A special "thank you" to everyone for their help.
- Committee and Search Reports
- Performance Management - Livingston
Met on April 7, 1998. Discussed evaluations and the importance of equitable assessment and implementation. Classification/compensation will be implemented as of July 2000. The development of the financial packet needs to be in place first. Target date for this is July 1999 and design classification/compensation beginning January 2000. Parental leave including policy for maternity, paternity, and adoption leave is being fowarded to John Russell. Some of the changes may include a change in bylaws requiring Board of Regent approval.
- Professional Development - Sheldon
The committee met on April 2. Linda Clark is the Office/Service Staff representative. Development of a new employee packet is being researched. Members met with the Council of Chairs and Academic Program Directors. A report on this meeting will be presented at the May meeting. The committee requested input regarding training, time to be allotted, and use of mentors. Also, the committee looked into the business center concept where an individual in each department would be identified as a resource person for
Feedback on this idea will be discussed at the next committee meeting.
- financial/budget issues
- budget reports
- Employee Recognition - Mumm
The committee has distributed flyers to all staff members, posted signs in each building, mailed a nomination form to each employee, moved the display to the Nebraskan, and added the employee picture to the display. In addition, each employee will be sent anniversary congratulations signed by Staff Senate and Office/Service Advisory members for their valuable service to the University. The Antelope will be contacted to see if they would spotlight the Employee of the Month. Departments are being encouraged to recognize the efforts fo their employees. A book with 1001 ideas to recognize your employees is available by contacting Bonnie Mumm.
- Election - Livingston
Marilyn Anderson has resigned and her term will be filled inaccordance with the bylaws. The Chancellor will notify the replacement.
- Facilities Director Search - Mumm
Mike Miller has accepted the position of Facilities Director. He will start on May 4, 1998.
- Residential and Greek Life Director Search - Kucera
The search committee has continued the search. There is always a concern about the turnover on the UNK campus as well as salary for problems for searches.
- Athletic Director - Mumm
The candidates are narrowed to the final pool.
- Dean of Fine Arts - No report.
- MONA Director - No report.
- New Business
- Summer Hours - Lakey
All offices will remain open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Flexible hours may be worked if there is sufficient staff to maintain regular hours.
- Retirement Luncheon and service awards are in May. Please plan to attend.
- An Employee Assistance presentation will be on campus this spring. Additional information will be distributed by Human Resources. The topic will be on dealing with stress through positive thinking.
- Adjournment. (Ellingson/Downey)
The May 19 meeting will be at 10:00 a.m. in the Art Gallery of the Nebraska Student Union.