Staff Senate Minutes - February 17, 1998
Employee of the Month: Dean Bresciani, Residential and Greek Life.
Present: Marilyn Anderson, Dennis Choplin, Sue Downey, Dee Ellingson, Shelly Fleck, Rex Kendall, Anita Kucera, John Lakey, Kathy Livingston, Bonnie Mumm, Stephen Robinson, Jane Sheldon, Judy Spellman.
- Call to Order - Anita Kucera, Chair
- Adoption of the Agenda (Kendall/Downey)
- Minutes of the January 20, 1998 meeting were approved as amended.
- John Rinaker, Chair of Office/Service Advisory Council, attended and confirmed the addition of the following OSAC members to Staff Senate committees: Employee Recognition, John Rinaker; Performance Management, Brenda King; Procedures, Billy Rayburn; and Professional Development, Linda Clark. The Staff Senate committee chairs will advise the new members of the time and place of their committee meetings. Both Staff Senate and OSAC welcome the opportunity to increase communication between the two and eliminate unnecessary duplication of efforts.
- Unfinished Business
- Meeting with the Chancellor - Kucera
Review of matters Staff Senate would like addressed are as follows.
- Concerns are budget, pay-for-performance, evaluations, recognition, and Senate representation at meetings and on searches
- Appreciation for support and foresight in establishing Staff Senate; communication with Campus via Monday e-mail; continued support of the Employee of the Month and Kudos for the UNK employess; funding of Employee Assistance Program (EAP); support of the retirement luncheon and service awards, the new crisis leave policy, and the classification/compensation program.
- Committee and Search Reports
- Professional Development - Sheldon
The committee met on January 20th.
- Members of Professional Development will meet with John Dinsmore, Council of Chairs, on April 20.
- Information is being pursued on Wellness, EAP and Human Performance.
- Program presentations and presenters are being researched for employee training.
- Campus tours via the Web or on CD-ROM are being evaluated.
- Employee Recognition - Mumm
- The Employee of the Month recognition plaque will be moved from Founders to the Nebraskan Student Union to increase visibility. The committee is pursuing the addition of a picture of the employee to the display.
- Reviewed satisfaction with the present EOM plaque.
- Recognition of employees on the anniversary date of their employment at the department level, i.e. are under consideration.
- Use of "Recognition of Random Acts" of good deeds/morale boosters by sharing of ideas, traveling baskets, written notes, etc. is under development.
- Procedures Committee - Downey
Met on February 12, 1998. Reviewing changes of Bylaws.
- Classification/Compensation - Lakey
The President's Council has decided to proceed with the new Classification/Compensation plan to be implemented in 1999. This does not identify funds or infer increased payroll dollars, but are encouraging changes/flexibility in funding issues.
- Facilities Search - Mumm
Applicants' files have been reviewed and recommendations were sent to VCBF Randy Haack.
- Computer Director Search - Robinson
Process is ongoing.
- Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Gender Equity - Robinson
Shari J. Clarke will begin on April 20, 1998.
- Director of Residential and Greek Life - Kucera
Plan to start reviewing by March 17 and target hire date is July, 1998.
- New Business
Actions/Decisions of Staff Senate: reviewed the procedure of committee referral of information back to the Senate for decision making.
- World Affairs Conference is March 16-18, 1998. Staff Senate encourages active participation by everyone.
- The final date for dependents to apply for the Office Service Dependent Scholarship is March 2.
- Staff Senate will be hosting FAC on April 3 at the Alumni House.
- Adjournment (Mumm/Ellingson)
The next meeting will be March 17, 1998 at 10:00 a.m. in the Sisler Room of the Memorial Student Life Building due to World Affairs Conference.