Staff Senate Minutes - September 18, 2001
Employee of the Month: Tami Streeter, Custodial Leader.
Directors -- Livingston, Roggasch, Roth
Managerial/Professional -- Danube, McMullen
Office -- Ellingson, Jones, Mitchell
Service -- Hines, Lange, Wilson
Directors -- None
Managerial/Professional -- Kucera
Office -- None
Service -- None
Ex Officio: Lakey
- Call to Order
- Adoption of Agenda
- Agenda Adopted (Roggasch/McMullen)
- Minutes and Correspondence
- Minutes of the July 17, 2001 meeting were approved as written.
- Length of Minutes
Livingston visited with members about the length of the minutes. She recently heard from several individuals who think they are too long. Others think they are just right so she wanted input from members. When the Executive Committee met recently, they decided to have members send their comments to John Lakey in Human Resources. He will remove the names and will bring them to the Executive Committee to determine what to do. One of the options is to have two sets of minutes – a short version to send out to the campus and a detailed version to have on the website. Livingston asked members to think about it and respond to Lakey as to how they think it should be done. It is important that we do what is best for the campus.
- Staff Senate Activities
Livingston stated this falls under the minutes as well since much of it is taken from the minutes. She asked members if they had looked at the draft she had sent them. The Professional Development Committee asked that this list be provided to everyone so that they could see what Staff Senate does. Livingston asked members if they thought the list should be sent out. Wilson thought it would be a good idea so the campus realizes what Staff Senate does. Roggasch noted it would be a good idea if we did this once a year as sort of a report. She suggested adding the Friday Afternoon Club which we host once a year. Mitchell noted she liked the comment at the end that states that you don’t have to be a Staff Senate member to be on a committee. Livingston asked that any changes to the draft be forwarded to her by noon tomorrow.
- Unfinished Business
- Parking Permits
McMullen stated he had visited with Bill Davis about parking permits for motorcycles for individuals who have already purchased a permit for a car. In the past, University officials were concerned that it would affect revenue. However last year there were only 15 motorcycle permits purchased at a cost of $35 each. Davis is willing to pursue the issue but Public Safety does not set the parking policies. There is a committee that determines the policy. Davis feels there should be a minimal charge, maybe $5.00, for the motorcycle permit if you already have a permit for a car. This would cover the cost of printing the sticker. Livingston noted she received a request from Davis for a volunteer from Staff Senate to serve on a Parking Advisory Committee. She noted previously that committee met to consider appeals. Davis told McMullen that the committee didn’t meet last year. McMullen and Wilson volunteered to serve on the committee.
- Committee and Search Reports
- Election Committee – no report
- Employee Recognition
Hines stated that a new procedure has been established for nominations for Employee of the Month. This process is a lot easier. All you have to do is get several individuals together and write a few paragraphs about the employee and send it to John Lakey. There is no set form to fill out. Livingston stated the reason it is still sent to Lakey is that his office is the one that remains constant whereas Staff Senate members change. Also Lakey checks with supervisors to be sure the nomination is appropriate.
Ellingson asked if the committee wants something on the website. Do they want to leave the long form out there or do they want just a statement? Wilson stated that currently the long form is out there with the signature lines removed. Hines will work on what needs to be on the website. Until then, the long form will remain on the website.
Livingston noted that Bonnie Mumm was awarded the SAFE Award and congratulations have been sent to her.
- Performance Management - Danube noted there is nothing to report. He stated he had been trying to get the committee together. He will continue to try to get that group together.
- Procedures Committee - McMullen noted there is no report. He stated they do need to meet and discuss changes needed in the bylaws for standing and subcommittees composition. Also needed is a statement about the Employee of the Month award.
- Professional Development Committee
Ellingson noted they have meet twice since the last Staff Senate meeting. Mainly they are working on Advance Connections. Dates for the first sessions are October 2nd, 9th, and 16th. Sessions are scheduled for both morning and afternoon. Participants may attend one or the other, but must attend one session on each of the dates. Individuals are allowed to switch back and forth as long as they attend either the morning or the afternoon session. Maureen Eckloff and the students in her class are preparing to have sessions for workstudy students and GAs. Those sessions will be available soon as well. Ellingson noted the committee had talked at length about the need for more exposure for Staff Senate and that is what brought about the draft that Livingston prepared. As to Let’s Have Lunch, members have decided to continue with that and are planning next year’s programs. If members have any suggestions, please get those to Ellingson. Making A Difference is set for October 23rd and Ellingson will elaborate about that when she gives that committee’s report.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee
Mitchell noted the committee has met and the Foundation Fund Drive is set for October. The list of volunteers was reviewed. She noted that they still need volunteers from Facilities. Concerning the aluminum can drive, they are trying to get a schedule set. Livingston asked if they were successful last time. Mitchell stated they were disappointed with it. Livingston noted that most machines on campus don’t have cans. The committee is going to try and get something scheduled with the residence halls. They have lots of cans, but they do not want to store them. Mitchell noted they would try and get a contest going.
- Making A Difference Sub-committee
Ellingson stated they are in the final stages for Making A Difference. They have a meeting Thursday. She stated she had a signup sheet she would pass around to Staff Senate members. Ellingson listed all the areas where help was needed and asked members to please signup. Livingston emphasized that members need to get involved since Staff Senate is responsible for this activity. The event will be on October 23rd in the Fine Arts Building. Registration begins at 8 a.m. but advance registrations are preferred. There are two break out sessions. Each has five different choices. In the 8:30 a.m. sessions, there is “Family Feud” which is about conflict management, “Name that Tune” which is about diversity and multiculturalism, “Survivor 1” which is on First Aid Skills, “The Weakest Link” which is on civility in the workplace, and “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” which is on managing your finances. At the 9:50 a.m. sessions, there are “Hollywood Squares” which is dealing with difficult people, “Jeopardy” which is about street drugs, “Survivor 2” which is a repeat of First Aid Skills, “Wheel of Fortune” which is about volunteering, and “Whose Line Is It, Anyway” which is about professional etiquette. The committee was able to get a keynote speaker, Joan Burney, who is doing the presentation Going! Going!! Gone!!! How to Say “Yup” in Life. Ellingson encouraged everyone to attend.
- Mentoring Sub-committee
Ellingson stated the meeting has been postponed to September 26th. The reason is they are planning a workshop for mentors who have signed up, but have never been through training. They will be contacted and asked to respond by September 19th if they still want to be a mentor. There are only six that have not been trained. The workshop is planned for October 22nd for those individuals. Also members can turn in other names of individuals to contact until then.
Currently there are 14 individuals enrolled in the program. Many of those have completed their six months so certificates will be sent to the mentors. The committee also talked about the need for Staff Senate to get more exposure, especially because of the mentoring program. The committee felt it needs more exposure. Cheryl Bressington was going to ask Lakey to write a letter to all supervisors and remind them of the program. The committee has had very good response from those who are enrolled in the program, but there are not the numbers the committee would like to have. Livingston asked if the new hires are participating. Ellingson noted some are; some are not. Ellingson did not have the percentage. Roggasch stated the number might be higher than you think. Ellingson noted August is usually a big month for new hires so they may have more joining the program. Joni Weed will make a second contact with the new hires to see if they want to get involved in the program. Ellingson informed members that the new coordinators of the program are Stacy Darveau and Shelly Lantzer.
- Information Technology
Danube stated he attended his first meeting in August. The topics discussed at the last meeting were delivery mechanism, assessment, discussion of a recent survey, and software programs.
- Strategic Planning
Livingston noted at the last meeting they had a presentation on construction progress. VC Haack provided that for those attending. The committee also received an admissions update from John Oseth which indicated that the numbers are positive for first-time freshman and transfer students. There was also a discussion of updating the strategic plan. The ultimate goal is to incorporate the prioritization process.
- Friday Afternoon Club
Roggasch stated we are scheduled to host on October 5th. The theme will be “The Fall Celebration”. The event is from 4-7 p.m. at the Alumni House. She passed around a signup sheet for refreshments, food, and work assignments. Roggasch stated there would be a free-will donation; if there is any money remaining after expenses, that money will go toward the Office/Service Dependent Scholarship fund. There will be a mixer. Those who complete the assignment will be in a drawing for the table centerpieces, which Hines is going to make. Hines is also doing the decorations. Kucera is bringing a boom box; so members are asked to bring a CD. Kucera will also do the nametags.
Members were encouraged to bring one other staff member with them. Staff seem to be the ones who do not attend this event. Kucera will send out an e-mail about the event. Livingston thanked Roggasch, Jones, Kucera, and Hines for taking the leadership in this.
- New Business
Livingston asked Danube if he knew what the theme was. Danube stated he wasn’t sure of the wording, but he knew it was UNK Pride-10 years of Excellence. Livingston stated in previous years, Staff Senate has used Ken Mumm’s yellow pickup and put some balloons on it and had people ride in the back. She noted that we could use the pickup again this year if we want to. Hines asked what we would do for candy. Danube suggested members donate bags of candy. Several members volunteered to ride in the pickup and others will donate candy. Danube volunteered to do balloons and a banner. Danube was asked to get Staff Senate registered. The parade is October 13th at 10 a.m. Participants would have to be there earlier.
- Chancellor’s Retreat
Livingston stated that she and Carol Hines attended on behalf of Staff Senate. Roggasch was also in attendance due to her position. There were several different sessions during the two-day retreat. This first one had to do with a discussion on diversity. Dr. Joseph White discussed how to better utilize the opportunity hires for faculty on campus. Other issues included developing a minor in ethnic studies and the possibility of having mandatory training in diversity. The next session had to do with marketing of UNK. Dr. Barbara Audley has been appointed to assist in that effort. A discussion was held on student retention and recruitment. The final session had to do with academic prioritization and where we go from here with that issue. The consensus was that it would be assigned to the Strategic Planning Committee.
Roggasch stated she didn’t think there would be mandatory training. On October 8-12, the Chancellor has decided that UNK will recognize Respect and Dignity Week. There will be a series of workshops that will mainly deal with harassment. This will involve prevention of harassment due to religion, race, sex, etc. Also what to do if you have been harassed and the legal ramifications for UNK and the employee if a harassment incident is filed. There will be one session on diversity that is mandatory for chairs, directors, supervisors, vice chancellors, and administration.
- Communications Committee
Livingston wanted to inform members that there would be a committee on campus that is an advisory to Dr. Audley for the marketing plan. Livingston had asked for volunteers for the committee and did get one response. She didn’t know how soon they will get started, but noted that efforts will be made to coordinate any communications from this campus.
- Staff Senate Repository
This was discussed by the Executive Committee, which decided that we needed a place to store our archival materials. When offices change from one person to another, records need to be kept somewhere. John Lakey has agreed to find space for those records/materials.
- Child Care Assistance
There was a call put out for items such as blankets, toys, etc. Shortly afterwards, a staff member contacted Livingston about Staff Senate doing some fund raising for the Child Care Center. The Executive Committee discussed the matter, but wanted input from members. Although members support having child care on campus, members felt they did not want to get involved in fund raising. If Staff Senate were to do fund raising, it would be for funds to support activities sponsored by Staff Senate. Currently Staff Senate has no budget or funds.
- Next meeting is October 16, 2001 in the Cedar Room
- Friday Afternoon Club is October 5, 2001, Alumni House
- Let’s Have Lunch is October 10, 2001, Cedar Room, Roger Davis, History of Halloween
- Making A Difference is October 23, 2001, Fine Arts Building
The meeting was adjourned (Lange/Hines) at 11:45 a.m.