Staff Senate Minutes - December 10, 2002
Employee of the Month: Rich Brodersen, Events Director, Athletics
Directors -- Livingston, Sheldon
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Danube, Kucera
Office -- Clark, Ellingson, Jones
Service -- Lange, Willis, Wilson
Ex Officio: Lakey
- Call to order.
- Adoption of Agenda-Agenda approved.
- Introductions, Correspondence, and Minutes of 11/19/2002 -- Minutes approved.
- Unfinished Business
John Lakey and Kathy Livingston have visited with VCAA Haack about the hours of businesses in the Student Union. Chartwells has an Advisory Group that includes students. It was suggested that the Advisory Group be expanded to include faculty and staff. Clayton Willis, Michelle Roggasch and Dee Ellingson volunteered to serve on the Advisory Group. Their names were forwarded to VCBF Haack. It was suggested that the Nebraskan Student Union website include the hours of the businesses. Businesses should post the hours they are open on the doors. The contract for Chartwells might be revised to include extended hours to include activities such as Band Day, etc.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee –- No report.
- Employee Recognition Committee
Ideas are needed for the Staff Senate newsletter.
- Performance Management Committee
Had a meeting November 21. Briefly discussed aiding employees.
- Procedures Committee -- No report.
- Professional Development Committee
Cookie contest is December 11, Room 312 in the Nebraskan. Three prizes will be awarded. Let's Have Lunch is planned for February. John Lakey asked for the percentage of new hires who use the mentoring program. Cheryl Bressington announced a focus group training at ESU #10 on December 17. Groups are attending from Facilities and Res. Life for a total of 105 participants.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee
It is time for office/service dependents to apply for the scholarships.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee -- No report.
- Mentoring Subcommittee
The Mentoring Program needs to get more exposure. They are having trouble getting people to participate and are not getting support from the supervisors. One possibility to get support is for committee members to attend department chair meetings and director meetings. The committee has been working on a brochure but needs funds to publish it. More men are needed to be mentors.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee
Met December 9th. The bandwidth issue was discussed including remedies for some of the problems and informing everyone of their responsibilities. The Chancellor wants to restructure the committee. Faculty Senate, Staff Senate and Student Senate should be represented on the committee.
- Strategic Planning –- No report.
- Centennial Committee -- No report.
- Parking Committee -- No report.
- North Central Steering Committee
Working subcommittees have been developed for North Central Accreditation. Volunteers are needed from Staff Senate. Anita Kucera will be on the Assessment Committee. Senate members who would like to be on one of these committees should get their names and their preference committee to Kathy Livingston by Thursday, December 12.
- New Business -- None
- Next meeting January 21, 2003, Room 310, Student Union
- Cookie Contest December 11, 2002.
Adjourned at 11:00 a.m.