Staff Senate Minutes - September 17, 2002
Employee of the Month: Ruth Behlmann, Staff Secretary III, English Department
Directors -- Livingston, Roggasch
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Danube, Kucera
Office -- L. Clark, Ellingson, Jones
Service -- G. Clark, Lange, Wilson
Ex Officio: Lakey
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda - Agenda approved.
- Introductions, Correspondence, and Minutes of 8/20/2002-Minutes approved.
- Unfinished Business
- Budget Update
Guest Hilary Christo, as a voice for UNK staff, expressed the concerns that campus staff were taking the largest hit for budgets cuts in the number of positions lost and asked Staff Senate to make a resolution showing support for campus staff and that all other options be considered before cutting staff. Concerns were expressed about the large amount of money set aside for priority programs while people are losing their jobs. The campus staff would also like to know exactly which positions are being cut in each of the area proposals. Staff Senate will ask the Chancellor for full disclosure of positions being cut and to let the campus know how many of those are faculty, staff, and administration. Identifying a position to be cut and putting a name and face to that cut makes a different impression. Questions were raised about positions being filled when some positions are being cut. If staff knew their position was going to be cut they might choose to apply for the open positions being advertised. Human Resources is working with employees who are part of the budget cut to fill open positions. Faculty have the union representing them but staff has only Staff Senate. Staff Senate passed a resolution to be read at the beginning of the September 20th Budget Forum. Each member was asked to contact others and bring them to the forum. The resolution is:
- September 17, 2002 - Budget Crisis Resolution
Whereas, the Nebraska state government's stressed fiscal situation will require the University of Nebraska at Kearney to achieve significant organizational and functional economies; and
Whereas, it is understood that the mission of the University of Nebraska at Kearney will continue to be a premier residential university; and
Whereas, it is the purpose of the Staff Senate at the University of Nebraska at Kearney to promote and facilitate communication between members of the university staff and the administration, faculty and students, and to serve as a medium for addressing topics affecting staff in order to foster a better working environment.
Now, therefore, be it resolved, that the Staff Senate of the University of Nebraska at Kearney encourages the Chancellor and Administrative Officers to clarify all future information regarding budgets cuts and to fully disclose the number of staff and the number of faculty positions considered for elimination;
And, be it further resolved that the Chancellor and Administrative Officers consider all other options before eliminating staff positions during the budget crisis.
- Adopted by Staff Senate on September 17, 2002
- Monthly Newsletter
The first Staff Senate newsletter has been distributed. It was well received. The Staff Senate Resolution about the Budget Crisis will be included in the next newsletter.
- Leadership UNK
Faculty Senate discussed the Leadership UNK proposal at their September meeting. They liked the proposal but suggested that faculty and students be put on the planning committee. Faculty Senate and Student Senate would choose their representatives. Leadership UNK is on hold because of the budget cuts.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee - A replacement needs to be named for Hannah Anderson. Usually the next person with the highest number of votes would be named according to the Committee. In this case, Hannah Anderson was a replacement for someone who stepped down from Staff Senate. The Staff Senate approved that the Directors will ask another director to serve out the term which ends April 30, 2003.
- Employee Recognition Committee - A new place is needed for the Employee of the Month bulletin board in the Union. Tim Danube and Michelle Roggasch will decide on a place to display the plaques.
- Performance Management Committee - no report
- Procedures Committee - The wording on the web page about the SAFE Award will be changed to read:
The Staff Award for Excellence will be awarded at the Fall Convocation. The Award winner will receive a plaque and $1,000 award. Other nominees will be notified of their nomination following the announcement of the winner.
- Professional Development Committee - Reminder: Let's Have Lunch is at MONA on September 18 and a tour of the Union on October 9. Cause for Applause now has a link on the Staff Senate web page. December is the cookie contest. The Chancellor and Vice Chancellors have agreed to be the judges.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee - The aluminum can drive was completed and a success.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - Flyers will be sent out next week with a registration form. Making A Difference is October 22 in the Union.
- Mentoring Subcommittee - They are trying to find money to cover the printing costs for a brochure. More mentors are needed.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - no report
- Strategic Planning - no report
- Centennial Committee - no report
- Marketing Council - no report
- Parking Committee - A chair is needed for the committee. Anita Kucera agreed to serve as chair of the committee.
- New Business
Staff Senate will participate in the parade on October 12. Bonnie Mumm will check on the availability of the "Yellow Pickup". Staff Senate members were asked to have their candy to Michelle Roggasch's office by October 7 or 8.
- Friday Afternoon Club
Staff Senate will be the host on October 4. Each member was asked to sign up for duties.
- Student Representation on Committees
It was suggested that Staff Senate have student representatives on the following committees: Employee Recognition, Scholarship Committee, Mentoring and Professional Development. A final decision about membership was not made.
- Next meeting October 15, 2002, Room 310, Student Union
- Let's Have Lunch September 18, 2002, MONA, Women's Show
- Budget Reduction Forum, September 20, 2002, 10:00 a.m., Fine Arts Recital Hall.
- Making A Difference October 22, 2002
- Friday Afternoon Club, October 4, hosted by Staff Senate
Adjourned at 11:45 a.m.