Staff Senate Minutes - May 21, 2002
Employee of the Month: Beverly Mathiesen, Administrative Assistant, Office of the Chancellor
Directors -- Anderson, Livingston, Roggasch
Managerial/Professional -- Danube, Kucera, Bressington
Office -- L. Clark, Ellingson, Jones
Service -- G. Clark, Lange, Wilson
Ex Officio: Lakey
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda
- Agenda Adopted
- Minutes and Correspondence
- Minutes of April 16, 2002 meeting were approved as written.
- Unfinished Business
- Student Council Judicial Board
Kucera reported the names of people willing to serve go to the Board in September, approved in October and are effective in January.
- Evaluation/Salary Increases
Lakey reported 95% of the evaluations are completed. There is a 5% salary pool for staff increases and a 4.5% pool for administrative salary increases. $600 for each person has been set aside in the salary pools to help with insurance increases. Salary notification letters will go out around July 1.
- New Committee Assignments
Staff Senate members were asked to sign up for committees.
- Committee & Search Reports
Each committee chair gave a brief description of what the committee does. Descriptions are available on the Staff Senate web page.
- Election Committee
- Employee Recognition Committee
In the process of changing the name of the July 1 event.
- Performance Management Committee
- Procedures Committee
- Professional Development Committee
Advance Connections will start again in the fall. One topic that will be covered is dealing with the public-the right things to do.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee
- Making a Difference Subcommittee
- Mentoring Subcommittee
Questionnaires are being finalized for both mentors and mentees to complete. A brochure and updated resource guide will be completed. Annual recognition of mentors will be in September.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee
Wireless equipment is being installed in the Library and COE on a trial basis. A student survey showed the students prefer their tech fee money be used to upgrade classrooms.
- Strategic Planning
Emphasis was on the Accreditation Planning. The Honors Director also provided an update on recruitment for the program.
- Centennial Committee
Committee is selecting a logo for the Centennial. The Celebration will start Fall 2003.
- Marketing Council
Working with a Marketing Agency SACCO out of Omaha. In the process of getting feedback from various groups on the proposed marketing ads.
- Chancellor Search
Interesting process. Candidates were well prepared.
- Athletic Director Search
Candidates will be on campus the first week of June.
- Parking Committee
Premier parking for students has been completed and all slots have been sold. There is no process for faculty/staff appeals, working on that process.
- New Business
- SAFE Award-Roggasch
Nominations are needed. Staff Senate approved changing the eligibility so all staff are eligible.
- U-Wide Benefits Committee-Kucera
The Committee made suggestions for 2002. Domestic partners are not recognized by the State of Nebraska so benefits are not provided to them.
- NU Values-Lakey
UNK is the first UN campus to start using the program in limited areas.
- Future Changes in Health Care-Lakey
Everyone should be receiving a letter from the Health Care Advisory Committee, appointed by President Smith, about changes to the University Health Plan.
- Staff Senate members were asked to update their profiles and get the information to Glenda Wilson.
- Next meeting, June 18, 2002, Cedar Room, Student Union
- Let's Have Lunch-June 5, Oak Room-Topic "Old Glory"
- Health Care Forum-June 5, 10:00a.m., COPH 140