Staff Senate Minutes - September 16 , 2003
Employee of the Month: Neva Klemme, Counseling Center
Directors -- Kauders, Roggasch
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Kucera
Office -- Clark, Larson, Ellingson
Service -- Lange, Willis, Hasbrouck
Ex Officio: Absent
Absent: Livingston, Newton, Lakey
Jon McBride, Athletic Director, shared his philosophy of the Athletic Department. He also talked about the commitment of the staff and coaches to participate in campus and community activities. Faculty and staff will have free admission to the volleyball game on October 23. Future plans for a faculty/staff/athletic department brown bag lunch was discussed and the Professional Development Committee offered to help promote the lunch. Jon discussed the fact that very few students receive full-ride scholarships so he encourages participation of faculty and staff at all events to help raise funds for scholarships and other activities.
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda
- Introductions, Correspondence, and Minutes of 9/16/03 approved.
Thank-you notes received from Sharon Pelc, Karla Falk, and Neva Klemme.
- Unfinished Business
- Michelle reviewed the 2003-04 goals and noting goals that have been accomplished.
- Discussion for SAFE Endowment funds was tabled.
- Staff Senate state and revolving fund accounts have been established.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee – Committee members met with Andrea Childress. The elections for Staff Senate members can be put on Blackboard so managerial/professional and office/service staff can vote electronically. A demonstration will be provided to Staff Senate members in November.
- Employee Recognition Committee – encourage more nominees for Employee and Department of the Month.
- Performance Management Committee – No report
- Procedures Committee – Review of by-laws at next meeting.
- Professional Development Committee – The Committee met in August and reviewed activities. Dee Ellingson was elected Chair of the Committee.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – No report
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - Cheryl reported registrations will be sent out next week. Four break-out sessions will be repeated. Everyone is encouraged to attend on October 21.
- Mentoring Subcommittee - Brochures have been printed, however, there are changes and labels will be made with changes. Corrections will be made on the web site. Discussion was held on possibly sending a survey to non-participants to see why the program is not being used. Efforts will be made to encourage new employees to use the program.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - No report
- Strategic Planning – No report
- Centennial Committee – No report
- North Central Steering Committee – No report
- Shirt Fundraiser – Cheryl reported 27 T-shirts have been ordered. A reminder will be sent through e-mail encouraging staff to purchase shirts. Cheryl is working on getting polo shirts with the logo.
- Flag Fundraiser – Following discussion Michelle asked if anyone would volunteer to chair a committee for fund raising. Vicki volunteered and asked for assistance in helping with the fundraising. Anita reported that approximately $200 has been raised from selling flags and pole holders.
- New Business
- Michelle, Cheryl, and Linda attend the administrative retreat in August. Academic programs were reviewed and other information was provided to participants.
- Staff Senate will participate in the Homecoming Parade on October 4. Volunteers are needed to help distribute candy and judging events on campus.
- Staff Senate will host Faculty/Staff Club on Friday, November 7. Dusty Newton will chair the activities.
- Staff Senate will be sharing an office in FHDL 2152 with Faculty Senate. Contact Michelle to use the office for committee meetings.
- Michelle distributed a UNO Staff Survey Fall 2003. Discussion was tabled on the survey until everyone had a chance to review the survey.
- Concerns were raised regarding 15-20 minute notice to move vehicles when special events are held on campus. A letter will be sent to Michelle Hamaker, Public Safety, requesting 24 hour notice to move vehicles.
- The Chancellor will be attending the next meeting – any questions for the Chancellor e-mail to Michelle or questions can be asked at the meeting.
- Homecoming Parade, Saturday, October 4, 10:00 a.m.
- Making a Difference Conference – Union – Oct. 21, 8:30 – 12:30.
- Faculty/Staff free admission to vollyeball game on October 23.
- Next meeting – October 28, 2003 – 10:30 a.m. – Room 310, Union
- The meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m.