Staff Senate Minutes - July 15, 2003
Employee of the Month: Daniel Jones, Theatre Costume Coordinator (unable to be present, award presented at a later date)
Directors -- Kauders, Livingston
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Kucera, Newton
Office -- Clark, Larson
Service -- Lange, Willis
Absent: Roggasch, Ellingson, Hasbrouck, Lakey
Michelle Fleig-Palmer, Director of Dual Career Program, explained the purpose of the program. Michelle specializes in helping spouses of new UNK employees look for employment. She suggested reading a book entitled “The Art of Tooting Without Blowing Your Own Horn” by Peggy Klaus. Michelle also offers workshops on resumes, interview techniques, and resource employment. Appointments can be made for individual consultations to eview resumes.
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda -- Amended Agenda approved.
- Introductions, Correspondence, and Minutes of 6/17/03 approved.
- Unfinished Business
- Cheryl reported 125 attended the breakfast and 100 for lunch on July 1, UNK celebration day. Surveys were handed out to managerial/professional and office/service employees, 97 surveys were completed. The questions were tallied. The survey indicated that most employees were too busy with their jobs to participate in activities and committees.
The Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance has donated UNK flags to Staff Senate. Staff Senate will sell the flags as a fundraiser. Flags may be purchased for $10 and the flag holders for $30. Anita Kucera will deliver the flags upon request and Cheryl will collect the funds. Cheryl reported that Staff Senate has received a budget of $2,000 for the next year.
A suggestion was made to explain the grievance procedure to employees through the monthly Staff Senate Newsletter. The suggestion came from comments on the surveys.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee – None
- Employee Recognition Committee – A concern was raised regarding the guidelines for Employee of the Month and the free parking space. Anita will revisit the guidelines.
- Performance Management Committee - Dusty reported the committee had met with John Lakey and Michelle Roggasch. Several issues came up with regard to employees not being aware of all benefits available to them, using flextime at work, and Loper Loot.
- Procedures Committee - tabled until next meeting.
- Professional Development Committee - No report
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee - Mary Heater submitted a written report. The Dependents Endowed fund has a balance of $9,506.70. There will be several can drives to reach the $10,000 mark for the endowed fund. The committee would like to get help in collecting cans from the buildings on campus.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - No report
- Mentoring Subcommittee - No report
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - No report
- Strategic Planning – No report
- Centennial Committee – Kathy reported an ice cream social will be held on Labor Day, Sept. 1 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Frank House. Banners will be placed along 2nd Avenue and on campus hopefully before students arrive on campus. A booth will be set up at Blue/Gold Day to sell banners.
- North Central Steering Committee – Committee continues to work on the report. A website will be created. April 2004 is scheduled for the on-site visitation. A resource room will be available in the library.
- S.A.F.E. Selection Committee met and sent their recommendations to the Chancellor.
- The Principles of Leadership workshop, August 11, 2003 ESU #10
- Next meeting 10:30 a.m., August 12, 2003, Room 112, Education Building, i.e. Facilities Building
- Fall Convocation – August 22 (S.A.F.E. Awards). Staff Senate agreed to send recommendation to Chancellor that all staff employees should be encouraged to attend the convocation.
- The meeting adjourned at 12:10 p.m.