Staff Senate Minutes - February 18, 2003
Employee of the Month: Judy Buhlke, Staff Secretary III, Residential and Greek Life.
Directors -- Livingston, Roggasch, Sheldon
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Danube, Kucera
Office -- Clark, Ellingson, Jones
Service -- Lange, Willis, Wilson
Ex Officio: Lakey
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda - Agenda approved.
- Introductions, Correspondence, and Minutes of 1/21/03 - Correction to minutes: Roggasch attended the January meeting. Minutes approved as corrected.
- Unfinished Business
- Budget - Haack
Upcoming dates concerning budget cuts. February 28 each campus will give President Smith one or two major items for the University's budget cuts. March 10 President Smith will present these major items to the Appropriations Committee. He will urge them to lower the amount the Governor proposed for the University's budget cut. The Governor recommended a 10% cut for the University. Some friends of the University in the Legislature are not such good friends now because of previous University budget cuts that have affected their districts. The President's Council is looking at university business functions to economize in non-academic areas by consolidating "back office operations" (not place bound) such as purchasing, benefits and accounting functions. Academic programs are why we are here but other areas of support are still needed. The Chancellor supports the 90-day notice to staff for position cuts that was used in the previous round of budget cuts. Final budget cuts may not be known until June 2. The UNK campus should get more actively involved. Ideas for budget cuts should be forwarded to supervisors/directors to pass on to Vice Chancellors and Chancellor.
Staff Senate Resolution:
WHEREAS, the percentage of the total state budget dedicated to higher education in Nebraska continues to decline.
WHEREAS, students' access to higher education could be limited by further budget reductions.
WHEREAS, in order for staff at the University of Nebraska at Kearney to create and maintain an attractive, effective learning environment, adequate financial support must be provided by the State.
WHEREAS, the University of Nebraska supports economic development throughout the State.
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Staff Senate of the University of Nebraska at Kearney is deeply concerned for the future of higher education in Nebraska. The Staff Senate urges the Governor and the State Legislature to minimize the negative impact on the University as a result of the current budget crisis by maintaining current funding levels within the University of Nebraska system.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee – No report.
- Employee Recognition Committee - The Employee of the Month parking space has been implemented. Thank you to the Theatre Dept. who will be giving two complimentary theatre tickets to the Employee of the Month.
- Performance Management Committee - No report.
- Procedures Committee - No report.
- Professional Development Committee - No report.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee - Applications are due to Financial Aid by March 1.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - October 22 is the Making A Difference workshop. There will be 5 repeating session, each person can attend 2 sessions.
- Mentoring Subcommittee - No report.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - Committee met the 2nd week in February. The structure of the committee is being reorganized but no word from the Chancellor yet. The campus website is being changed and spring commencement will be webcast.
- Strategic Planning – No report.
- Centennial Committee - The committee continues to meet and plan. March 26 the Committee will go to the Legislature. The Governor will make a proclamation about UNK then.
- Installation of Chancellor Kristensen will be May 1 & 2. Thursday evening a community picnic is planned. Some of the sponsors for the picnic are: Staff Senate, Faculty Senate and Student Senate.
- North Central Steering Committee - No report.
- Search - Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. Two candidates have withdrawn. The committee is making reference calls.
- New Business - none.
- Next meeting March 18, 2003, Room 310, Student Union
Adjourned at 11:45 a.m.