Staff Senate Minutes - April 15, 2003
Employee of the Month: Judy Balcom, Staff Secretary III, Mathematics & Statistics.
Directors -- Livingston, Roggasch, Sheldon
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Danube, Kucera
Office -- Clark, Ellingson, Jones
Service -- Lange, Willis, Wilson
Ex Officio: Lakey
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda - Amended Agenda approved.
- Introductions, Correspondence, and Minutes of 3/18/03 approved.
- Office, Dixie Larson
- Service, Vicky Hasbrouck
- Managerial/Professional, Dusty Newton
- Directors, Audrey Kauders
- Unfinished Business
- Budget Update -- Haack
The Governor proposed cutting UN 10%. The Legislature will have to increase taxes to lessen the proposed cut. The Appropriations Committee (expenditure side) is looking at 3-4% right now. The Revenue Committee (revenue side) is dealing with the tax issues. The Appropriations Committee proposal is due to the Legislature April 25. The UNK share of the 10% cut is $3.3 million. The VCSA position has been eliminated and there will be a reduction in summer offerings. Supervisors will talk to those directly impacted (RIFed) before the campus announcement of cuts. 7-8 positions will be lost and they are primarily staff. Staff Senate message will be the cuts need to be reassessed, not taken on the back of staff employees only. Staff Senate appreciates Administration standing by the 90 notice policy. Packets will be available from Human Resources for RIF employees. Special consideration will be given RIFed employees for openings on campus. Concerns were expressed about the closed process at UNK. UNL has been more open about their proposed cuts.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee –- Election statistics were reviewed. Suggestions are needed to get more participation in the election process and in Staff Senate in general. Lack of supervisor support may prevent some employees serving on Staff Senate. Part of the next Staff Senate meeting will be discussion of the process.
- Employee Recognition Committee -- Thank you to all the offices/groups that supply Employee of the Month gifts.
- Performance Management Committee -- No report
- Procedures Committee -- No report
- Professional Development Committee -- The turn out for Let's Have Lunch with the Cabela's representative was disappointing. Only 5 attended. September Let's Have Lunch will be on golf. Suggestions are needed for the luncheon topics.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee -- Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of commencement week will be the can drive. There were 30 applications for the scholarship. Financial aid will make the decision on recipients. A decision needs to be made on continuing the amount of the scholarship awards each year.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee -- Official date is October 21. Advertising the event will begin soon. Fewer paper notices will be sent to save money. The Credit Union will help pay for some of the refreshments. Office Depot may be donating one large prize, possibly a PDA. The Staff Senate meeting will be moved that day.
- Mentoring Subcommittee -- The brochures are ready. They will be sent out in the fall with a letter to promote mentoring. A Power Point presentation will be on line soon for mentor training. Leadership UNK is ready to promote in the fall.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee -- No report
- Strategic Planning –- No report
- Centennial Committee -- The Governor made the proclamation to begin the Centennial Celebration. The Committee is working on events for fall. Late summer banners will be displayed on campus.
- North Central Steering Committee -- A consultant was here the last week in March. The visitation will be in April 2004.
- New Business
- May 1 -- 3-6p.m. open house in each College, majors fair in the Nebraskan
5-7p.m. picnic sponsored by Staff Senate, Faculty Senate, Student Senate and community businesses-open to the public
- May 2 -- 2p.m. Health & Sports complex-reception following in COE building
- Election of Officers
- President, Michelle Roggasch
- Vice President, Cheryl Bressington
- Secretary, Linda Clark
- Next meeting 10:30a.m, May 20, 2003, Room 310, Student Union
- April 17, 2003, 12:30p.m. Celebrating Excellence -- Annual Retirement & Service Award Recognition, Great Room, Nebraskan
Adjourned at 11:55 a.m.