Staff Senate Minutes - October 28, 2003
Employee of the Month: Paula Gaasch, Communications Disorder
Directors -- Kauders, Livingston
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Kucera, Newton
Office -- Clark, Larson, Ellingson
Service -- Lange, Willis
Ex Officio: Lakey
Chancellor Kristensen talked about the positive view in looking ahead at the future of the UNK. Future plans include looking at residence halls and University Heights with the possibility of building new residence halls. Athletic facilities, green space, restrooms and concessions need to be renovated or added because of the age of the facilities. The rising cost of health insurance was discussed and the Chancellor noted employees can take advantage of wellness programs to help keep health costs down. A concern was expressed that there were no staff representatives on the President’s search committee.
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda
- Introductions and Minutes of 10/28/03 approved.
- Unfinished Business
- John Lakey announced that starting next fall employees will have the opportunity for payroll deduction of athletics tickets from September through December.
- Discussion for SAFE Endowment funds was tabled.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee – Staff Senate approved the appointment of Michelle Hamaker, Public Safety to replace Michelle Roggasch.
- Employee Recognition Committee – Cheryl Bressington noted that Employee of the Month recommendation can be received once every seven years. Employees nominated for the award are held for six months.
- Performance Management Committee – No report
- Procedures Committee – Changes in the bylaws were reviewed. Amended bylaws included term of office for each position. The bylaws were voted upon and approved as presented.
- Professional Development Committee – The cookie contest will be held December 3rd in the Union.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – John Lakey announced $155 was collected from the can drive for the scholarship fund.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - Dee Ellingson reported that 110 had registered for the workshop and evaluations comments were good.
- Mentoring Subcommittee - Brochures will be sent out next semester. Ideas are needed to get more employees involved in the program. Dee and Linda will visit with the supervisor when a position is opened and then visit with the new employee. The non-participation survey is being drafted to be sent out in the future.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - No report
- Strategic Planning – No report
- Centennial Committee – No report
- North Central Steering Committee – work continues on drafting of chapters. Visitation on campus will be in April 2004.
- Shirt Fundraiser – $76.72 has been collected from the sale of T-shirts. The fund balances in the revolving and state accounts were reviewed. Cheryl will visit with the Chancellor regarding the balance of the state fund account.
- Flag Fundraiser – No flags have been sold at the present time.
- New Business –
- Elections were held for the positions of Vice President and Treasurer. Dee Ellingson was elected as Vice President. Audrey Kauders was elected as Treasurer.
- Discussion was held on two concerns from a staff member. Cheryl will draft a response to those concerns.
- Staff Senate will host Faculty/Staff Club on Friday, November 7 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.. Staff Senate members will contribute refreshments and snacks.
- Cheryl noted that Faculty Senate voted not to pursue the UNO survey. Discussion on the survey was tabled until the next meeting.
- Information on the Crises Team Information was tabled until the next meeting.
- The discussion of the Staff Senate annual report was tabled until the next meeting.
- November 4, 3:30 p.m., Commitment to Excellence Award presentation Health and Sports Complex
- November 7, 4:00 p.m., Faculty/Staff Club, Alumni House, sponsored by Staff Senate
- Next meeting – November 18, 2003 – 10:30 a.m. – West Center E101
NU Flex Benefits and Employee Self Service
- December meeting changed to December 9, 2003 in Otto Olsen.
- The meeting adjourned at 12:15 p.m.