Staff Senate Minutes - November 18, 2003
Employee of the Month: Alta Kramer, Library
Directors -- Hamaker, Kauders
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Kucera, Newton
Office -- Clark, Larson, Ellingson
Service -- Lange, Willis
Ex Officio: Lakey
Absent: Livingston, Hasbrouck
John Lakey explained how to use the Employee Self Service and to change benefits using the NU Flex Enrollment program on-line. Employees using SAP will use their login name and password, other employees can use their personnel number recorded on their pay advice to login and set up a password. Employees have until December 5 to make any changes in benefits and no longer requires the signature of a notary for changes. Every employee must fill out the Life Insurance Tobacco/Nicotine Designation form online or the paper form. An employee can use his/her birth date for non-smokers.
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda - approved
- The minutes were corrected to reflect the changes of duties for the Vice President in the by-laws approved by Staff Senate. The by-laws were changed as follows: "The Vice President assumes the responsibilities of the President, Secretary, and/or Treasurer in their temporary absence. If multiple officers are absent simultaneously, appoints someone to assist; Chairs the Committee on Committees; and along with other elected officials shall present a proposed budget."
A paragraph was added to Election of Officers/Committee Members – "Should the President resign, the Vice President will assume the President’s role for the remainder of the elected term. Should a vacancy occur in the other offices, an election will be held at the next meeting to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the elected term."
Minutes were approved with the clarification.
- Financial Report – Funds totaling $999.88 from T-shirt sales were deposited. Financial report was approved.
- Correspondence - A thank-you note was received from the Chair of the Annual Making a Difference Day thanking Staff Senate for the donation of a UNK flag and pole holder as a door prize.
- Unfinished Business
- John Lakey discussed the Emergency Response Plan and distributed information on the purpose, scope, authority and implementation, the team and duties, area responsibilities, readiness, notification lists, assembly areas, communication, logistical responsibilities and the UNK general population emergency plan. Anyone can download the Buffalo County alert system. Public Safety has business cards available with the web site for weather alert. The website if BuffaloGov.Org. UNK is starting a 3-year Emergency Response Plan and will participate in a mock setup in 3 years. The Emergency Response Plan will be presented to Faculty Senate, Administrative Council, and Student Senate.
- Discussion was held concerning the publication of the annual report from Staff Senate. Kathy Livingston recommended the report be published on the Staff Senate website. Following discussion, members agreed a hard copy should be placed on file in the Staff Senate office.
- Dusty Newton reported approximately 35 people attended the Faculty/Staff Club. $80 was raised for the scholarship fund.
- Cheryl Bressington reported that she had visited with the Chancellor regarding the balance of budget funds for Staff Senate. The Chancellor indicated Staff Senate should receive the allotted funding. Cheryl will visit with Randy Haack regarding the balance of funds.
- The Chancellor is reviewing the request to do a climate survey on campus. A similar survey from UNO was distributed to review. A committee will be formed to propose questions for a climate survey. Cheryl informed everyone that Darren Addy has software available for surveys online.
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee – no report
- Employee Recognition Committee – no report
- Performance Management Committee – no report
- Procedures Committee – no report
- Professional Development Committee – The cookie contest will be held December 3rd in the Union. Cookies should be there by 11:45. There will be a cookie exchange following the contest.
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – no report
- Making a Difference Subcommittee – Gayle Rawlings has been elected chair of the committee.
- Mentoring Subcommittee - no report
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - no report
- Strategic Planning – no report
- Centennial Committee – no report
- North Central Steering Committee – no report
- Shirt Fundraiser – Shirts should be picked up – if they are not picked up, Cheryl will sell them to anyone.
- Flag Fundraiser – Another e-mail will be sent out to sell the UNK flags.
- New Business –
- Minutes of all committee reports should be sent to Linda Clark, Staff Senate secretary prior to Staff Senate meetings.
- December 3, Cookie Contest, 12:00 p.m., Nebraskan Student Union, Room 312
- Holiday Close down – December 24 – January 4
- Next meeting – December 9, 2003 – 10:30 a.m. – Otto Olsen 202, Andrea Childress will demonstrate on-line voting.
- The meeting adjourned at 11: 45 a.m.