In this June 2017 issue:

Travel and Transport (International Travel)

Starting June 1, 2017, Travel and Transport will require a Travel Authorization Number (SAP TRIP Number) before booking a flight for international travel.  You will only be able to book International flights by calling a Travel Agent at Travel and Transport.  The speed dial number from a campus phone is 3127.  The phone number is 800-228-4395 or 402-486-4111.  Please work with your Department Travel Coordinator to complete a Pre-Trip/Travel Request which generates this Travel Authorization Number.

Compensatory Time Balances – Use by June 30th

Per University policy (see below), hourly employees should utilize any accrued compensatory time prior to July 1st.  Please log into Firefly>Employee Self Service>Leave Information to review your current balance and submit your leave request(s) accordingly. 

Employees who request to use earned compensatory time shall be permitted to use such time within a reasonable period after making such a request if the use of the compensatory time does not unduly disrupt the operation of the department. Employees shall not accumulate more than 60 hours of compensatory time. To insure that compensatory time is used within a reasonable time, compensatory balances should be used by June 30th of each year unless permission is granted by the Human Resources Office to carry a balance beyond that date.

Please contact Human Resources at (308) 865-8426 with any questions.

Permits Go On Sale -  July 1st

Permits may be purchased on-line through “MyBlue”, by campus mail, or in person at the UNK Police Office in the Facilities Building. These permits may be purchased on line either by payroll deduction, credit or debit card, by campus mail with check or payroll deduction, in person with check, cash or payroll deduction. Permits will be mailed to the purchaser by campus mail. Please plan early as we are exceptionally busy after August 11th.

  • “MyBlue” purchases: Log into “MyBlue” (you can find the link at www.unk.edu home page), enter your NUID and password, on the next screen on the left click on “Tools” or “Campus Tools”, then click “Police and Parking”, “Order A Permit” (right hand column in Permit box), payment can now be made using payroll deduction or by card. (If you have not used “MyBlue” before, you can still access it by using your NUID and your Firefly password, the first time this process may take a while to load).
  • For in person or by campus mail purchases you will need to fill out the vehicle registration/payroll deduction form.
  • Faculty/Staff vehicle registration/payroll deduction form go to: http://www.unk.edu/offices/police/parkingservices/Fac_Staff_Vehicle_Registration.pdf
    • If paying by cash or check do not fill out the bottom payroll deduction part of the form.
    • If paying by payroll deduction, the bottom portion of the vehicle/payroll deduction form will need to be filled in.
    • Bi-weekly deduction will start on September 1, 2017.
    • Monthly deductions will start on September 30, 2017.
  • Completed form and check (or completed payroll deduction) can be mailed or taken to Parking Services, Facilities Building or UNK Police, 2501 19th Avenue, Kearney, NE 68849.
  • VEHICLE INFORMATION WILL BE REQUIRED: License Plate, Make Model Style (2dr, 4dr, SUV, etc), and color.  
  • We will return your permit via campus mail.

If you have any problems please feel free to contact us at parking@unk.edu or 308-865-8923.

2017-2018 Employee Permit cost:
Administrative $225.00
Faculty/Professional $140.00
Staff $110.00

2017 SAFE Award

Please consider nominating one or more deserving employees for the 2017 SAFE award.  The award was created to recognize staff who have performed significant service to the University of Nebraska at Kearney and each award includes a $1,000 stipend.  The deadline for nominations will be July 30th.  SAFE award winners will be announced on Friday, August 18th at Convocation.

Additional information about the award can be found by following the link below:


Fiscal Year End Reference Guides

Several reference guides are available in Sapphire to assist you in understanding what happens to surplus budgets at the end of the fiscal year as well as fiscal year closing policies, procedures, dates and deadlines. See Sapphire > Reference Guides > UNK > Finance Office > Fiscal Year End. Please contact Chris Moran at 8785 with any questions.

Employee Achievement/Recognition of Excellence Award Nomination Forms

The Employee Achievement and Recognition of Excellence award nomination forms have been updated and are now available as electronic forms, using the following links.  These forms are also available as links on the UNK Staff Senate webpage. 

As we gear up for another exciting academic year, please consider nominating a staff member or group who has demonstrated excellence.  It’s time to show our colleagues how much we appreciate what they do and why we’re so very proud to be Lopers!!



For further information, please go to:

Business & Finance – Policies & Procedures

Orientation for New Employees to B & F Procedures