In this May 2017 issue:

Graduation Gift Ideas

Loper Dollars make a great gift for a high school graduate who will be attending UNK next fall. Loper Dollars can be used at all campus dining locations, the Antelope Bookstore, the UNK Technology Store, copiers and printers. Remember, purchases at campus dining locations using Loper Dollars are discounted 20% automatically! Contact the Finance Office for more information at 8012.

Departments Handling Credit Card Numbers

Departments who handle customer credit card information must comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCIDSS). PCI compliance mitigates risk, protects the University from the costs of a breach, and strengthens overall security. When the University complies with the PCIDSS, it not only protects itself, but also its students, employees, alumni and customers.

The requirements for departments include:

  • Approval by the Finance Office prior to acceptance of payment cards (credit or debit) as a means of payment regardless of the transaction method or technology used (e-commerce, POS device, in person, telephone, fax or mail).
  • Approval by Information Technology Services of all technology implementation to process any payment card transaction including internet payment service providers such as PayPal.
  • Establish department procedures for safeguarding cardholder information and secure storage of data. An updated copy of these procedures signed by the department head must be submitted to the Finance Office annually.
  • Annual security control attestation to assure understanding of the requirements to comply with payment card merchant safeguards. Attestation form provided by the Finance Office.
  • Breach of security reported immediately to ITS at schroederd@unk.edu, Finance Office at purdyj@unk.edu, and UNK Police at davisjf@unk.edu. If you suspect loss or theft of any materials containing cardholder data, you are required to report the incident as soon as possible. See UNK Information Security Incident Reporting and Response Procedures.

Contact Chris Moran at #8785 with any questions.

Fiscal Year End Reference Guides

Several reference guides are available in Sapphire to assist you in understanding what happens to surplus budgets at the end of the fiscal year as well as fiscal year closing policies, procedures, dates and deadlines. See Sapphire > Reference Guides > UNK > Finance Office > Fiscal Year End. Please contact Chris Moran at 8785 with any questions.

Employee Tuition Remission

Allocation of tuition remission credits for summer and fall Semester can be entered. Final submission for summer is June 2 and for fall is September 15. Allocate credits via Firefly/ESS, under Benefits, click “Employee & Dependent Scholarship”. For employees utilizing KSC forms, please visit the link below. If you have any questions, please call 865-8516.


A Webcast from Fidelity

It’s smart to know about your Medicare choices before you need to make them, whether for you or your aging parents. Join Fidelity for a free webcast that covers all the basics and what you should know about eligibility, choices, costs, and more.

Medicare: Your Questions Answered

June 1, 2017 at 12:00 p.m. CT

June 2, 2017 at 12:00 p.m. CT

Register Today!

*Can’t make either webcast but don’t want to miss out? You can still register for the replay and watch it at a time that’s better for you.

Travel Expense Reimbursement Deadline is a State of Nebraska Law

Per Nebraska State Statute 81-1174, all travel reimbursement requests shall be presented not later than 60 days after the final day on which expenses were incurred (last day of travel). Also, each request shall be fully itemized, including the amount, date, place and essential character of the expense incurred. 

Also, Accounts Payable wants to remind you that as of January 1, 2010, all UNK faculty and staff were required to process all travel requests (pre-trip requests) and subsequent travel reimbursement request through SAP Automated Travel (transaction code: TRIP).  If you have any questions about this process, please call Accounts Payable staff at -8419.

Due to the University’s fiscal year ending on June 30th, trips that take place during June must be entered by July 25, 2017.

Meal Adjustment Calculator Form in SAPPHIRE

When working with travel receipts, it is often necessary to adjust meal receipts for unallowable items, such as alcohol, a spouse’s dinner, etc.  Accounts Payable has made available an Excel-based worksheet that can be used to help you adjust the taxes and tip accordingly. It can be found in SAPPHIRE under Business Forms>UNK>Accounts Payable>Meal Adjustment Calculator

Documentation Required for All Paid by University TRIP Expenses

Reminder, all travel expenses designated as “Paid by University” must be supported by appropriate documentation when submitting an Automated Travel Expense Statement.  This supports the previous announcement that all “Paid by University” expenses be included in the Pre-Trip estimate AND the post trip report of expenses submitted. Documentation can include an email confirmation, a hotel folio provided at check-out (folio will always be REQUIRED when the reservation was made through the University Hotels.com site), rental receipts OR a cross reference to the SAP Document Number (starting with “44”).  Questions can be directed to Accounts Payable at -8419

Conference Registrations and Meals

Per University policy, when a Conference Registration requires the registrant to pay for a meal as an additional expense to the registration fee, UNK is not allowed to prepay for that line item with State/University funds.  The registrant must include a personal check or make arrangements to personally pay for that meal item and may submit it with the rest of their reimbursable expenses if otherwise allowed as a business expense.  Please refer to the Business & Finance Policy & Procedure document on the UNK website.  Additionally, a University PCard is not allowed to be used to pay for travel-type expenses which includes meals/food, transportation, lodging, etc.  Please refer to the PCard Training Manual or contact Kim Christensen at -8525 for assistance.

Employee Achievement/Recognition of Excellence Award Nomination Forms

The Employee Achievement and Recognition of Excellence award nomination forms have been updated and are now available as electronic forms, using the following links.  These forms are also available as links on the UNK Staff Senate webpage. 

As we gear up for another exciting academic year, please consider nominating a staff member or group who has demonstrated excellence.  It’s time to show our colleagues how much we appreciate what they do and why we’re so very proud to be Lopers!!



For further information, please go to:

Business & Finance – Policies & Procedures

Orientation for New Employees to B & F Procedures