In this April 2017 issue:

25th Annual Celebrating Excellence Retirement and Service Award Luncheon

The 25th Annual Celebrating Excellence Retirement and Service Award Luncheon will be held on Tuesday, April 18, 2017.  Please mark your calendars and plan to attend. (Luncheon starts at 12:30 p.m. with service awards starting at 1:15 p.m.) in the Ponderosa Room of the Nebraskan Student Union.

Physical Confirmations of Equipment Inventory

In April, departments will receive a current listing of major equipment (cost $5,000 or greater) for the department as recorded in the University’s fixed asset system.  Departments are expected to confirm the inventory of equipment by physically inspecting the equipment, verifying the accuracy of the recorded information, and indicating the condition of the asset on the confirmation.  If there is equipment held by the department with an original cost of $5,000 or more that is not listed, please add the equipment information to the confirmation.  Departments with no major equipment will be sent a confirmation asking them to confirm they do not have any equipment with an original cost of $5,000 or more.

In addition to a listing of major equipment, departments will also receive a separate list of current objects on loan for the department as recorded in the University’s HR system.  Departments are required to record laptop computers and other mobile electronic devices such as iPads, tablets, cell phones, and external hard drives as objects on loan.  Desktop computers, printers, or fax machines that are taken home or off campus are also required to be recorded on objects on loan.  Departments, at their discretion, may include other specific items such as cameras, iPods, research equipment, or other equipment on an individual’s objects on loan.  Accessories to these items such as a laptop docking station, keyboard, case/cover, etc. do not need to be recorded as separate items, but may be included in the description of the main item if desired.  Departments are expected to confirm the inventory of objects on loan by physically inspecting the equipment and verifying the accuracy of the recorded item information and employee assignment.  Equipment that meets the requirements but is not listed should be added to the confirmation before returning it to the Asset Records Manager.

Please assist in the physical inventory of UNK equipment by completing the steps and returning the confirmations to the Asset Records Manager by the due date indicated on the confirmation.

How can I review what has been recorded on SAP Objects on Loan? 

Employees can review items assigned to them in SAP objects on loan by navigating to Firefly > Employee Self Service > Employment Information > Objects on Loan.

Departments can review information for all employees in their department by running a report in SAP. See instructions at Firefly > Sapphire > Reference Guides > UNK > Finance Office > SAP Objects on Loan Report Instructions. To update Objects on Loan information in SAP, contact your IT Coordinator or go to Sapphire > Business Forms > UNK > Finance Office > Objects on Loan Update Form and send the form to Ross Pierce, Asset Records Manager, WRNH 135.


Personal Use of University Property and Equipment 

Personal use of University property is prohibited, except where allowed by Board of Regents policy.  University property includes any items purchased with University funds including grants, contracts, awards, gifts, and Foundation funds as well as donated items.  

Use of University Property Off-Campus for Work Related Activities

When University property is removed from a department for off-campus work-related activities, the department must maintain written documentation of the department head’s authorization for such use, specifically identifying the equipment removed, reason for the removal, location, and dates removed and returned.  When equipment is mobile in nature and assigned to an individual for work use on a long term basis, departments are encouraged to record that equipment as an “object on loan” on the employee’s personnel record in SAP.  Departments are required to record laptop computers and other mobile electronic devices such as iPads, tablets, cell phones, and external hard drives as objects on loan.  Desktop computers, printers, or fax machines that are taken home or off campus are also required to be recorded on objects on loan.  Contact Ross Pierce at piercerl@unk.edu or 8007 with any questions.

Mobile App Now Available for Loper Dollars Deposits

Visit www.unk.edu/loperdollars for more information! Access our new deposit website using your EASI user name & password at get.cbord.com/unk or click the MAKE A DEPOSIT link found at www.unk.edu/loperdollars. Your EASI user name & password is the same authentication used for Blackboard, Outlook email, and logging into your PC.

Graduation Gift Idea

Loper Dollars make a great gift for a high school graduate who will be attending UNK next fall. Loper Dollars can be used at all campus dining locations, the Antelope Bookstore, the UNK Technology Store, copiers and printers. Remember, purchases at campus dining locations using Loper Dollars are discounted 20% automatically! Contact the Finance Office for more information at 8012.


Fiscal Year-end Procedures and Information

There is one more opportunity for you to attend an Informational Meeting on Fiscal Year-end Procedures. The information covered will include budget encumbrances and which balances carry forward at the end of the fiscal year, year-end deadlines, accrual adjustments, payroll processing, AP parked document processing, procurement card processing and more. Please contact Chris Moran at 8785 with questions.

Thursday, April 13, 1:30-2:15, Copeland 142 Register

Reading Your SAP Financial Reports

There is one more opportunity for you to attend a demonstration on financial reports that are available in SAP and Firefly that can assist departments in managing their budgets and how to read and understand those financial reports. Please contact Chris Moran at 8785 with questions.

Thursday, April 13, 2:30-3:15, Copeland 142 Register

Employee Tuition Remission

Allocation of tuition remission credits for Summer and Fall Semester can be entered beginning April 3. Final submission for Summer is June 2 and for Fall is September 15. Allocate credits via Firefly/ESS, under Benefits, click “Employee & Dependent Scholarship”. For employees utilizing KSC forms, please visit the link below. If you have any questions, please call 865-8516.


Retirement Benefits

For those close to retirement or planning on retiring, please call the Benefits Office at 865-8516 or email benefitsunk@unk.edu with any questions on retirement benefits. There is an eligibility requirement in order to receive University of Nebraska retirement benefits. Please visit the link below for more information.


SAPPHIRE Forms - Are You Using the Most Recent Version?

There have been several new forms and updated forms loaded into SAPPHIRE over the past few months.  Many of the changes are because of updated rates used for reimbursements, but others have new legal/contractual language.  It is always recommended that you go to SAPPHIRE and retrieve the form you need so that you are always using the most current and updated form for your activities.  

Is a Service Provider an Independent Contractor or an Employee?

Business Services and Accounts Payable have begun to use a new checklist to determine if a service provider should be classified as an independent contractor (non-employee) or an employee when it comes to paying them for work or services provided to the University.  The form has been incorporated into the Service Agreement for Non-Employee (for both the “less than $1,000” and the “$1,000 or more”).  Please begin utilizing the new form with every engagement as it will be required to ensure consistent treatment per IRS requirements.  Questions can be directed to Michael Christen at -8448.

PCard Exception Reminder

When department activities/needs have a justified (business purpose) reason to make a purchase with the PCard, but it is otherwise on the Prohibited Use list, the cardholder MUST complete the Request for P-Card Policy Exception form found in SAPPHIRE.  Contact Kim at -8525 with any questions.

Enroll for 2017 Online W-2

As you are filing your 2016 taxes, now is a perfect time to think about your preferred delivery method for your 2017 W-2 form. All UNK employees can now enroll for online delivery of their 2017 W2 tax statement by logging into Firefly>Employee Self Service>Payment>Enroll for 2017 Tax Year W-2 Online Delivery.

Follow the on screen steps to designate your preferred tax statement delivery method. By opting for online W-2 forms, not only will you save paper but you will also have accessibility to your W-2 form at any time through Firefly. The forms are also available online at least a week before the paper forms are sent out to those users who do not designate their W-2 delivery method or who opt for a paper W-2 form.

You do not need to enroll again if you already opted for the online delivery as your selection carries forward each year. If you do not log into Firefly and make an election, you will receive a paper W-2 form by default.

If you have any questions, please contact Payroll at 865-8426.

Employee Achievement/Recognition of Excellence Award Nomination Forms

The Employee Achievement and Recognition of Excellence award nomination forms have been updated and are now available as electronic forms, using the following links.  These forms are also available as links on the UNK Staff Senate webpage. 

As we gear up for another exciting academic year, please consider nominating a staff member or group who has demonstrated excellence.  It’s time to show our colleagues how much we appreciate what they do and why we’re so very proud to be Lopers!!



For further information, please go to:

Business & Finance – Policies & Procedures

Orientation for New Employees to B & F Procedures