In this December 2016 issue:

Construction Project Submittal Deadline Approaches

The deadline for submitting construction projects to Facilities Management and Planning is February 24, 2017, for projects to be completed prior to the Fall 2017 semester.  Projects included with this deadline range from larger renovation work (involving multiple subcontractors) to small room modifications (moving walls, power receptacles, etc.) to simple renewal projects (paint and carpet).

Projects will need to be submitted with funding source and Space Alteration form, refer to link here.

If there are additional questions or concerns, please contact Facilities at ext. 1700.

New Interior Building Signage

UNK is transitioning its interior building signage to a uniform, NU-wide standard.  Facilities, in conjunction with building-renewal schedules, is replacing any old interior signs with new signage in all campus building.  New signage will include new office and room identifiers, emergency information, restroom signage, and departmental signage.  Additionally there will be way-finding signs that will greet visitors and give directions to departments, common and public areas.  If changes are needed to the office signs because of change of personnel or name or office hours, these will be handled by Printing Services in Communications and Marketing. An order form to obtain new office nameplates is at


Unrelated Business Income Tax Reporting

The Finance Office is preparing to calculate UNK's Unrelated Business Income Tax for the 2015-2016 fiscal year. If your department has had any income from a trade or business (the production of income from the sale of goods or the performance of a service) which is regularly carried on and which is NOT substantially related to the performance of the institution's tax exempt purpose of Education, you may be generating Unrelated Business Income.

Areas of potential exposure include:

Facility Rentals
Merchandise Sales
Catering and Food Service
Advertising Income
Camps (not sponsored by UNK)
Sales of Services to others outside UNK
Concession Income
Broadcast Rights

UNK's areas of UBIT exposure are being reported to the IRS along with the other University of Nebraska campuses. No actual taxes are assessed to your department's cost object.

Please respond to Debbie Tvrdy in the Finance Office if you think that you may have an area of exposure within your department's activities. Each potential exposure area will be analyzed separately.


UNK’s Concerning and Risky Events (CARE) Team is a group of professionals from across the campus that receives referrals on students of concern, collects additional information, and identifies and enacts appropriate strategies for addressing the concerns. The purpose of the team is to provide a confidential means for early intervention of at-risk students through collaboration with campus departments, faculty, and staff.

A person at risk, or in a crisis, is no longer coping effectively. As his or her emotions intensify, coping becomes less effective until the person becomes disoriented, nonfunctional, or attempts harm to self or others. A student in a serious mental health crisis may be:

  • Extremely anxious, resulting in panic reactions
  • Making suicidal statements or attempting to harm himself
  • Highly disruptive (hostile, aggressive, violent)
  • Unable to communicate (garbled or slurred speech, disjointed thoughts)
  • Appearing to lose touch with reality (seeing or hearing things that aren’t there, expressing beliefs or actions at odds with reality)

Taking action

If you believe there may be imminent danger of harm to a student or someone else, call Police and Parking Services at 308-865-8911, or 911. If you aren’t sure, call Student Health and Counseling at 308-865-8248 or the Office of the Dean, Division of Student Affairs at 308-865-8528 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Click on the link, referral form to email the CARE Team directly and privately, if the situation is not an immediate crisis.

Employee Tuition Remission

Allocation of tuition remission credits for the Spring Semester can now be entered and final submission is Friday, February 3th, 2017. Allocate credits via Firefly/ESS, under Benefits, click “Employee & Dependent Scholarship”. For employees utilizing KSC forms, please visit the link below. For questions, please call 8516.


1095-C ACA Tax Forms

All employees who were benefit eligible in 2016 will receive a Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage, to certify that employees and dependents have minimum health coverage for the year to provide for taxes. The Form 1095-C will be mailed to employees prior to January 31st, 2017. For tax-related questions, please consult your tax/financial advisor. For other questions, please call 8516. 

Holiday Closedown for Christmas Holidays

December Holiday closedown for 2016 begins on Monday, December 26th and concludes on Monday, January 2nd.  Staff will return to work on Tuesday, January 3rd.  Classes begin on January 9th, 2017.  Staff can enter their floating holiday requests after November 11th (Veterans Day – the last floating holiday to accrue for 2016). 

Paid holidays will be December 26th and January 2nd.  Floating holidays will be December 27th through December 30th.  If you have questions or you do not have enough leave time to cover this time period, please contact Human Resources at 865-8426.

2016 W-2 Forms

The University of Nebraska system allows all employees to opt to receive their W-2 through Employee Self Service (Firefly).  Please consider opting for the electronic version to save paper and distribution time.  Those that choose to receive an electronic W-2 through Firefly will receive their W-2 statement about a week earlier than those who receive paper W-2 forms.  Only employees who elect an electronic W-2 will be able to view their W-2 form throughout the year.  To enroll, log into Firefly>Employee Self Service>Payment>Enroll for 2016 Tax Year W-2 Online Delivery.   Please contact Human Resources at 865-8426 with any questions.

This is also a good time to review your address listed in Employee Self Service (Personal Information>Address & Emergency Contact) to confirm that your contact information is current.  The address listed in an employee’s “permanent address” is where all benefit and payroll related information is sent, so it is important that the information is correct.

Employee Achievement/Recognition of Excellence Award Nomination Forms

The Employee Achievement and Recognition of Excellence award nomination forms have been updated and are now available as electronic forms, using the following links.  These forms are also available as links on the UNK Staff Senate webpage. 

As we gear up for another exciting academic year, please consider nominating a staff member or group who has demonstrated excellence.  It’s time to show our colleagues how much we appreciate what they do and why we’re so very proud to be Lopers!!



For further information, please go to:

Business & Finance – Policies & Procedures

Orientation for New Employees to B & F Procedures

Flashpoints Archive