Office Supply Scammers and Toner Pirates
The various Office Supply Scammers and Toner Pirates have begun to contact University offices. If you receive a call that you feel may be a “scam”, please transfer the caller to Business Services, or indicate to the caller you are not interested in buying what they want to sell. Do not provide them with any information on the model and type of printer and copier you use in your office. You can also visit the web site below by the FTC which has excellent information. Please contact Business Services if you have any concerns or questions.
United States Postal Service Collection Time
The United States Postal Service (USPS) has notified the University Mailroom that the collection time in the afternoon when the USPS picks up University mail will change to 2:00 p.m., effective May 6, 2013. The last dispatch at the USPS (Kearney downtown) will be 4:15 p.m. The USPS indicated, “We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause our customers, but the Postal Service needs to continually evaluate our network to ensure our processes align to maintain operational effectiveness.” Eventually, all mail processing operations for central Nebraska will be moved to Omaha. In order for the University Mailroom to process your mail for pick up by the USPS at this earlier time, all mail for the USPS should be delivered to the University Mailroom no later than 12:00 noon each day, Monday – Friday. If you have any questions, please contact Dick at 8433.
Amazon Prime Membership
Amazon Prime is a membership program that provides free shipping on many Amazon.com items for an annual fee. If you would like to enroll in this program, please review and complete the Amazon Prime Membership Policy and Agreement available at: http://www.unk.edu/administration/vcbf_policies.aspx?id=7874 or in SAPPHIRE in Business Forms › UNK › Procurement › Purchasing Card. Signed Agreements should be submitted to Business Services, Founders Hall, 119.
For additional details about this program, please visit:
UNK Dining Service
UNK Dining Services is excited to release the first edition of the UNK Dining Service’s The Mix: Our Semester in Review and the 2013-2014 Reveal!
Our newsletter includes:
- Project Clean Plate - UNK Dining Services donated 714lbs. to Crossroads Mission of Kearney.
- "Putting for a Purpose"
- Introducing All Access Meal Plans
- "ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN" a convenience meal plan for the 2013-2014 academic year
- Summer Hours
- Highlighting our team …and more.
Download our newsletter at: http://www.dineoncampus.com/unkearney/show.cfm?cmd=newsletter
Will you also be adding the All Access Meal Plan information? If you want to just attach a link instead of the actual documents for the All Access information here is a link below.
For Residents: http://www.dineoncampus.com/unkearney/show.cfm?cmd=residents
Reminder to SAP Travel Coordinators
All Travel Coordinators with the responsibility of entering travel requests and expense reimbursements in the SAP Automated Travel system are reminded that it is their responsibility to enter all expenses being requested and incurred for the employee’s travel into SAP including those expenses which are not being reimbursed directly to the traveler (e.g. airfare paid to Travel & Transport, conference registrations paid with the purchasing card). When the traveler’s reimbursement is being entered and the expense type is selected, use the expense type with the notation “Paid by Univ” (e.g. “Airfare-Paid by Univ” or “Reg/Conf Fees-Paid by Univ” ) to indicate that the expense has been paid directly to the vendor and is not being reimbursed to the traveler. It is necessary to enter these “direct” expenses into the Automated Travel system so that the reporting for the trip is complete and a true picture of the total cost incurred by the University is reflected in that system.
Staff Award for Excellence
Please consider nominating or self-nominating for the Staff Award for Excellence (SAFE Award). The winners receive a $1,000 check! The process has been streamlined in the hopes that more individuals are nominated. Go to: the SAFE Award web page for complete information. Nominations are due by June 30, 2013.
Tuition Remissions – Summer/Fall
All forms need to be completed for Summer Session 2013 by May 13, 2013. Fall Tuition Remission forms are available for submission through September 3rd. Tuition remission is available on firefly.nebraska.edu through ESS (Employee Self-Service) under the heading of Benefits. Those that participate in the KSC program can access the Employee Tuition Waiver or Dependent Tuition Waiver form on the HR web page. A paper form can be obtained from Human Resources.
Increase Basic Retirement Plan to Tier 2
Benefit eligible employees can plan ahead for retirement savings by increasing their Basic Retirement Plan from Tier 1 (3.5%) to Tier2 (5.5%). By increasing your payroll contribution by 2% you also increase the University’s contribution by 1.5%. Go to firefly.nebraska.edu, Employee Self-Service (ESS), under Benefits click on Participation Overview to see which Tier you are enrolled in for basic retirement. Contact the Human Resource Office to fill out the payroll deduction form by June 1 to be effective for July 1, 2012 payroll.
Reminders Regarding University Property and Equipment
- Title and all rights of ownership to all property and equipment purchased with University funds (including grants, contracts, awards, gifts, and Foundation funds) or donated to the University shall vest in the University, except for property purchased in accordance with specially donated or restricted funds providing for other ownership.
- Such property belongs to the University as a whole and not to any employee, department or division to which it has been allotted.
- Campus departments and personnel are entrusted with the obligation to take appropriate measures to safeguard and secure University owned property and equipment as well as the data stored on the equipment against the unauthorized or illegal access to or use of that property, equipment and data.
- The Finance Office maintains an inventory of property and equipment with an individual cost of $5,000 or greater. Campus departments are responsible for maintaining an inventory of property and equipment with an individual cost of less than $5,000 as the department head deems necessary to safeguard and secure the equipment and considering the cost/benefit of tracking such equipment (for example, camera equipment, scientific equipment, tools, etc.).
- Campus departments are responsible for recording laptops assigned to individuals and all desktop computers, printers and fax machines that are taken home or off campus on the employee's personnel record via SAP objects on loan. Other mobile electronic devices (for example, iPads, Mac minis, etc.) should also be recorded on SAP objects on loan. At the department head's discretion, SAP objects on loan can be used to track other items, as well.
- If University property is removed from a department for off-campus work-related activities, the department must maintain written documentation of the department head’s authorization and specifically identifying the equipment removed, reason for the removal, location, and dates removed and returned.
- University property should not be used for personal use and should not be removed from campus for personal use except where allowed by Board of Regent policy.
- No property and equipment shall be purchased from any University faculty or staff member without prior approval by the Vice Chancellor for Business & Finance and any such purchase shall comply fully with the conflict of interest provisions.
- Disposal of University owned property or equipment, regardless of original cost or current value, should be facilitated through Don Wellensiek, the UNK Asset Disposal Manager with the exception of computer equipment which should be coordinated through Information Technology Services.
- Departments and/or employees should not dispose of University owned property or equipment on their own.
Staff Evaluations Are Due May 1
The Chancellor, in compliance with the President's Executive Memo #2 subsection F, wants to remind supervisors of staff that evaluations are required each year. Employees must have at least a satisfactory evaluation to be considered for any salary increases. If you are a supervisor and you did not receive the evaluation memo, please contact Human Resources at 865-8388.
Memorial Day – Campus Closed
The UNK campus will be closed on Monday, May 27, 2013 to observe Memorial Day.
Hourly Staff Compensatory Time to Be Used By June 30th
This is a reminder that hourly staff who have accrued comp time during this fiscal year, need to utilize that leave prior to June 30, 2013. Supervisors and staff can see balances via Firefly. Only in rare circumstances with approval from Human Resources can employees carry a balance into the new fiscal year. If you have questions, please contact Human Resources at 865-8426.
Reminder from Accounts Payable Regarding the Transmission of Confidential Data
The Accounts Payable Office cautions that, for security purposes, e-mail should not be used as the mode of transmission for W-9’s, Citizenship Attestation Forms or other regulatory forms that include tax identification numbers (e.g. Employer Identification Numbers (EIN’s), Social Security Numbers (SSN’s), Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN’s), sales tax exemption numbers, etc.). When communicating with vendors, please request that completed forms containing this sensitive information be mailed or faxed directly to the Accounts Payable Office. In addition, care should be taken not to use e-mail for the purpose of transmitting purchasing card information. Please refer to http://www.unk.edu/offices/ITS/Business_Unit/Policies/SSN_Elimination/Best_Practices/ to review best practices when handling sensitive information.
For further information, please go to:
Business & Finance – Policies & Procedures:
Orientation for New Employees to B & F Procedures: