Five Questions for the Psychology Department
What can I do with a psychology degree from UNK?
The world is full of both academic psychologists and practicing psychologists. Academic psychologists engage in teaching and research while practicing psychologists apply psychological knowledge in clinics, businesses, and other settings. UNK's psychology program is designed to prepare you for the next step in your psychology career, whether that be graduate school, a job as a psychologist, or a job as another thriving member of the workforce. Recent graduates have chosen a variety of exciting and successful paths, including:
- Graduate school (various disciplines)
- Psychiatric Assistantships
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Personnel Administration
- Mental Health Casework
- Occupational Training
- Laboratory Assistant
- Daycare Supervision
What programs of study are offered by UNK's Psychology Department?
- Bachelor of Arts (B. A.)
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Comprehensive B.S.
- Teaching Endorsement
Need more information about these programs?
What Psychology classes are offered at UNK?
Our academic programs provide a solid foundation for understanding psychology. Our core courses ensure well-balanced coverage of the entire field, including:
- Experimental Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
- And more
We also encourage students to develop their own interests in various areas of specialization including environmental psychology, psychology of gender, drugs and human behavior, and the psychology of criminal behavior.
View our complete course list here.
What other advantages does UNK offer?
- Excellent facilities. The department has received several grants, including three from the National Science Foundation for laboratory equipment.
- Unique research opportunities. The department offers apprenticeships, research assistantships, grants-in-aid, and activity scholarships to encourage undergraduate research.
- Award-winning faculty. All of our courses are taught by dedicated professors who have combined to win numerous local, regional, and even prestigious national awards. In addition, our faculty provides advising sessions for all majors twice a year.
- Recognized student organizations. Student involvement, including Psychology Club and PSI CHI, help students learn Psychology with fellow peers outside of the classroom.
- Successful graduates. Of UNK's Psychology graduates, 76% have made presentations at a regional or national psychology conference. Additionally, 87% of those who have pursued graduate school have been accepted. More stats like these are available upon request.
Where can I get more information?