Dr. Peter Longo joined the faculty at the University of Nebraska at Kearney in 1988 and is a tenured full professor in the Department of Political Science.
He served as department chair from 1990-99 and again from 2003-07. He served as interim dean for the Division of Student Affairs in 2007-08. Longo also served as Honors Director (2001-03) and as faculty assistant to the Senior Vice Chancellor (1999-2001).
Longo received a bachelor’s in history from Creighton University (1980); a J.D. (1982) from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Law and a Ph.D. (1986) in political science from UNL.
He currently serves as editor for the journal “Great Plains Research,” the Natural and Social Sciences’ publication of the University of Nebraska Center for Great Plains Studies.
In the classroom Longo teaches American Politics, Environmental Policy, and Health Policy.
- Longo, P.J., Cummings R.G. (2013). Dam Water Policy: The Need for Global Governance. Journal of International Energy Policy, 2, 31-38.
- Cummings, R.G., Longo, P.J., and Rioux, J. (2012). Ethics Of Tax Law Compliance: An Interdisciplinary Perspective, American Journal Of Business Education, 5, 1, 95-101.
- "Workplace Religious Accommodation for Muslims and the Promise of State Constitutionalism." Co-authored With Joan Blauwkamp. Great Plains Research. (2011)
- "School Consolidation in Nebraska: Economic Efficiency vs. Rural Community Life." Co-authored with Peter J. Longo and John Anderson. Online Journal of Rural Research and Policy. (2011)
- "Water Quality. Governing America: Major Policies and Decisions of Federal, State, and Local Government." eds. Paul Quirk and William Cunion. (2011)
- "Stalking on Campus: Ensuring Security with Rights and Liberties." Co-authored with Julie Campbell. College Student Journal. (2010)
- "The Nebraska State Constitution: A Reference Guide, 2nd edition." Co-authored with Robert Miewald and Anthony Schutz. University of Nebraska Press. (2010)