Scholarships for Reserve and National Guard Soldiers
Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) scholarships are available through the ARNG for students that desire to participate in the Senior ROTC program. These scholarships guarantee that the student once graduated from school and commissioned in the U.S. Army must serve their obligation in the ARNG. ARNG scholarships are available in the following lenghts: 2, 2.5, and 3-years. To be eligible for the scholarships the student must have exactly that amount of school remaining. For example, to be eligible for the two-year scholarship the student must have exactly two years of school remaining; to be eligible for the 2.5-year scholarship the student must have exactly 2.5 years of school remaining. Contact the Professor of Military Science (PMS) at your schools Army ROTC department to determine specific eligibility requirements.
These scholarships pay up to $20,000 for tuition and fees or room & board. The student can choose which option they desire. In addition, a $1200 per year book allowance is paid to the student. Also, a cadet stipend is paid per month to the student in the following amounts: $350 for the sophomore year, $450 for the junior year, and $500 for the senior year. If eligible for Chapter 1606 or Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), see PMS to determine eligibility, the student is paid an additional $350 per month MGIB kicker. The ARNG scholarship student must participate in the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) with an ARNG unit while in school. While in the program the student drills with an ARNG unit and is paid at the rank of E-5, approximately $225 per month, unless the student is already in the ARNG and holds a rank higher than E-5.
Federal Tuition Assistance
Available for all Non-Scholarship Cadets (including MSIs and MSIIs) who are drilling Reservists or Guardsmen - No MOS requirement
- Federal TA amounts - ARNG TA pays $250.00 per credit hour, not to exceed $4500 per year - USAR TA pays $250.00 per credit hour, not to exceed $4500 per year
- Contact local Educational Service Specialist USAR & CPT Jocelyn Kuta: (402) 309-7263 or email@example.com
VA Benefits Montgomery GI Bill & Kicker
- Selected Reserve Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606) - Currently pays $288 per month for full time enrollment for MOS Qualified GRFD Scholarship and non-scholarship cadets - Must have a minimum of six years remaining on current enlistment
- Active Duty Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) - Currently pays $1004 per month for full time enrollment for MOS Qualified GRFD Scholarship and non-scholarship cadets
- Montgomery GI Bill Kicker USAR / ARNG - Pays additional $350 per month for enlisted soldiers in officer producing programs who are receiving the Montgomery GI Bill and participating in the GRFD program
- Cadets must verify enrollment monthly with the W.A.V.E. Webiste or call 1-877-823-2378
- Chapter 1606 Educational Benefits are subject to recoupment if cadet opts to serve on Active Duty.
For more information on the GFRD Scholarship, Contact Us
Please enter "Army ROTC" in the "Comments, Questions, Special Accomodations" box. We would be happy to show you the UNK Army ROTC Department and Learning Community during your visit to campus.