Guides for Government Compact Discs (CD's)
Return to Guides for CD's menu.
U.S. Foreign Affairs on CD-ROM
1. What is it?
- Contents: Secretary of State speeches, testimony, and remarks; Dispatch magazine; daily press briefings; Country Background Notes; Human Rights Reports; Global Terrorism Reports; Narcotics Control Strategy Reports; miscellaneous policy publications (includes Kennedy-Khrushchev exchanges, 1961-63 from the Foreign Relations of the United States series); and Political Violence Against Americans.
2. Who produces it?
- U.S. Department of State. Bureau of Public Affairs.
3. Are there guides to using it?
4. Is it updated?
- The library received two editions.
5. Can the CD-ROM be checked out?
6. Sudoc number (disc's call number in Calvin T. Ryan Library):
- S 1. 142/2: (years)
7. Is there a paper equivalent in Calvin T. Ryan Library?
- Some of the publications are in paper: Dispatch magazine is under S 1. 3/5:, and Foreign Affairs of the United States is under S 1. 1:
- From the table of contents, select the set of publications you wish to search.
- Then click on the binoculars with a page behind them on the tool bar. This will bring up a search screen in which you may type your subject. A search of the entire database will be done and titles that contain your subject will be retrieved.
- If you have selected a specific title from the contents list, you may search for subjects within that title by clicking on the plain binoculars on the tool bar. Type in your subject and the results will report if the word was found in the document. Use the right-facing flashlight on the tool bar to move to the first appearance of the word. The word will be highlighted in the text.
TO ENLARGE THE IMAGE
- If the text is too small to read, click on the magnifying glass in the tool bar and then click on the document to enlarge it. You may also enlarge it by clicking on the magnifying glass in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen.
- You may print the whole document or select pages to print.
- Select "File" on the top tool bar, then "Print". Pay special attention to how many pages are in your document. Some of the titles on this CD are over 200 pages long, with many pages not pertaining to your subject. Click on the box to type in the page numbers you want printed.
- Place a portable storage devide in drive.
- To copy (download) the entire file you see on your screen:
- Select "File" on the top tool bar, then "Export document to text". Next scroll up in the drive window and select drive.
- Click on "X" at upper right of screen.
Format courtesy of Robert Lopresti, Wilson Library, Western Wash. University., Bellingham, WA
Diana J. Keith
Head, Government Documents Department
Calvin T. Ryan Library
University of Nebraska at Kearney
Kearney, NE 68849-2240
Revised July, 2009